Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

jumbo shrimp

muttin
muttin Posts: 45
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

I just bought some Jumbo shrimp these suckers are big 6 per pound. and I am looking for suggestions on how to cook them and seasonings people use. i have never messed around with these before and they are not cheap. I want to make sure my wife likes them so she lets me buy them again. do you marinade them? or just season <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited September 2012
    lol.  This reminds me of the movie Forrest Gump, where Bubba was telling Forrest how many ways you can fix shrimp. These might be the new, invasive Asian Tiger Shrimp that are almost as big as lobsters.

As was said in the movie, there are hundreds of great ways to fix shrimp, but if I had the larger ones, I might think about frying for Shrimp Tempura, making stuffed shrimp and broiling, sauteeing in garlic and butter and making Shrimp Scampi.  Or, just plain grill them.

If you had medium or small shrimp, I'd think about Chinese stir fry dishes, gumbo, or seafood crepes or enchiladas.

BIG ADVICE: DO NOT OVERCOOK THEM.  THEY WILL BECOME TOUGH.  COOK THEM UNTIL OPAQUE AND PULL THEM.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I like the tempura idea. Try some veggies with it. My favorite is tempura bananas with a goat cheese and sour cream dipping sauce.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited September 2012
    YUM!  U6 are big shrimp!  Like Village Idiot said, you don't want to over cook them. I've seen where people will cut them in half lengthwise (head to tail) and grill with the shell on.  The shell protects the meat & keeps it from drying out... the cutting in half helps them cook a little more evenly. 

For seasoning, I do THIS a lot with grilled shrimp.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I par-cook some thin bacon. Coat the shrimp with a little oil and stick two basil leaves to each, then wrap in the bacon. Skewer with a toothpick into a "C" position. Cook at 400 direct for two to three minutes on each side. The basil really makes the dish. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Might be too late now but DP pineapple head or raging river would be nice, even w/bacon as suggested above...
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • I peal and devein them, cut jalapeños into slices along with red onions. Put a slice of jalapeño and red onion next to the shrimp and wrap with bacon. I precook the bacon in the microwave as was stated earlier you don't want to over cool the shrimp. Place direct around 350 and cook until the bacon is done.
  • Simply marinate, then cook in your veggies.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• well here is what i ended up doing a friend sold be today and they turned out great.

took the shell off, deveined them, made a mix of 1/4 cup evoo and a tsp of the following black pepper,lemon juice, garlic powder, thyme

and mixed them up put the shrimp in a bowl to marinade for 1 hour set teh grill up direct at 375 cooked them 4 min on 1 side fipped them took the little extra marinade i had drizzed over the shrimp again and cooked for another 4 min untill they were done and they turned our wonderfull

the picture is hard ro tell the size but the shrimp were about 3-4" long

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    my thought on shrimp is.....if you think they are done, then they are probably done....It's not a cook that benefits from.....let me just give it another minute or two to make sure it's done.....

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • looks great!  I was thinking about you today doc as i drove back south on the turnpike as i passed Melbourne!  You provide alot of great looking cooks, and i appreciate it.

Have a great day

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    "jumbo shrimp" - is that like "virtual reality" or "original copy"?

If you get your hands on big shrimp, a regional favorite (South Louisiana) is called BBQ Shrimp.  It's not at all like it sounds, but it's delicious. 

My favorite, and a house specialty, is from Mr B's Bistro.  You get a lobster bib with each order because they're messy, and you'll probably need an angioplasty the next day from all the butter, but worth it.

http://www.mrbsbistro.com/recipes_shrimp.php

If you get your hands on big shrimp, a regional favorite (South Louisiana) is called BBQ Shrimp.  It's not at all like it sounds, but it's delicious. 

My favorite, and a house specialty, is from Mr B's Bistro.  You get a lobster bib with each order because they're messy, and you'll probably need an angioplasty the next day from all the butter, but worth it.

http://www.mrbsbistro.com/recipes_shrimp.php
    Thanks for posting that link...we r shrimp lovers and will try that recipe when we do our next shrimp cook. Take statin drugs so I can enjoy this kind of "stuff". :-$

Opelika, Alabama
  • nolaegghead
    lol.  It's so easy, we make it at the house all the time.  The 3/4 pounds of butter sounds scary, but you don't have to eat it all.  Make sure you get some good bread (like french) to sop up the juice - it's almost the best part!

looks great!  I was thinking about you today doc as i drove back south on the turnpike as i passed Melbourne!  You provide alot of great looking cooks, and i appreciate it.

Have a great day

Thanks, you passed me a little farther north around exit 220 on I-95.  :-)

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    ccpoulin1 said:

looks great!  I was thinking about you today doc as i drove back south on the turnpike as i passed Melbourne!  You provide alot of great looking cooks, and i appreciate it.

Have a great day

Thanks, you passed me a little farther north around exit 220 on I-95.  :-)
    I am at exit 191 or so in Viera. Where are you?
  • Titusville

• I am in Palm Beach county....Boynton to be more precise.  The reason i thought about doc when going through Melbourne was he suggested visiting Wassi's meats which is where i got my egg by his suggestion!  Good place to visit and buy!  Have a good day everybody!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Titusville

I'll take a couple dozen broiled rock shrimp from Dixie Crossroads please! One of my favorite eats when I'm down there.
  • lol.  It's so easy, we make it at the house all the time.  The 3/4 pounds of butter sounds scary, but you don't have to eat it all.  Make sure you get some good bread (like french) to sop up the juice - it's almost the best part!
    I make barbeque shrimp on the rare occasion. Could eat it every day if it wouldn't kill me. Every time I get to NOLA I go to Pascals Manale

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    lol.  It's so easy, we make it at the house all the time.  The 3/4 pounds of butter sounds scary, but you don't have to eat it all.  Make sure you get some good bread (like french) to sop up the juice - it's almost the best part!
    I make barbeque shrimp on the rare occasion. Could eat it every day if it wouldn't kill me. Every time I get to NOLA I go to Pascals Manale
    Took them a while to open back up after Katrina, but I've been back a couple of times.  Good example of classic New Orleans food.
    "jumbo shrimp" - is that like "virtual reality" or "original copy"?
    or honest politician?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings