Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When do you toss rubs?

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have rubs over 6/7 years old. Lot's over 4 years old. They have a smell when you open them. When do they expire? How can you tell? Thinking of tossing everything over 2 to 3 years old...... (((I have to stop buying rubs or Linda is going to divorce me, and I need her income to buy rubs)))
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Rubs don't expire or go bad.  The heat will soften, and volatile or subtle flavors will fade over time. The flavor will change, get softer, less pungent.  Salt and sugar will be unchanged, it's just the spices which will lose freshness and potency.  It's up to you if you mind the change in flavor (you might need to use more to compensate), but it is still safe to use.  No food has an expiration date except baby formula.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    I trust the good 'ol smell test, BGE smoke and anything else as well.  I've not used the hard and fast time-frame but as you note , if it smells then "when in doubt, throw it out".  I am trying to better manage the inventory but some spices become about a "one-off" for some recipe.  Next time you find/use it may be a few years down the road-I should do a run-through as well.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Sounds like fi they are that old, they aren't getting used adn are just taking up valuable space. I'd take a hard look and figure out if they are worth keeping or should you just toss them since they aren't being used.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I usually don't throw rubs out.  But, spices are different.  I typically will write the date I bought them on the bottle, and toss them when they are over a year old.  I have read that you should replace them after 6 months. 

I also try to buy the small bottles of spices, unless it's one I use a lot of .... like cumin. and pepper flakes.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I find that there are 2 things to consider. If the stuff is in tightly covered containers, it can last a long time. I have some Indian masalas that came double bagged in mylar pouches. Those are still quite pungent after more than 6 years. If the contents have a lot of herbs, or ground chiles, they don't seem to have as long a lifespan as spices. I've tossed a few things because, while they still had aroma, I needed to use enough that I could feel the sawdust like plant matter in my mouth.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    It's a good idea to buy whole seeds/pods where possible and grind before use. Lot more distance that way.

Steve 

Caledon, ON