Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Inject a Pork Shoulder or Not?

bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 1,019
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

I've done many shoulders and love them. A neighbor went to a good BBQ restaurant and said he liked theirs a bit more as it had a little zing to the flavor. I figure they are doing a cider mix on their injection. I would normally just cook a few and find out for myself but we have a block party this weekend and I'm doing the PP. Should I experiment with injecting or do what I always do?

Thanks.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

·

Comments

• FxLynchFxLynch Posts: 433
    I injected one last weekend for the first time, and it was delicious. I used "Big Bob Gibson's" recipe I found through google.  It had apple juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and sugar.  I'm now on the hunt for a good brisket injection.

I'd say give it a try, I'm glad I did.
    ·
    Actually here is the page I used http://www.meatwave.com/blog/barbecue-recipe-big-bob-gibsons-championship-pork-shoulder ;

Ignore the basting recipe, there is a typo... 1/8 cup of cayenne pepper lol 
    :-O
    ·
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 1,019
    Thanks. Did it change the cook time?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

·
    I don't think so, although this one did seem to go a little faster than I expected.  I'm not experienced enough with the shoulders on the Egg though to give you a for sure answer.  
    ·
  • I injected one two days ago for the first time. It was my first butt on the egg. Best I have ever had.
    ·
  • JWBurnsJWBurns Posts: 334
    I think it's simply a matter of personal opinion. I've tried injection, but didn't notice a difference. Some of the best pork I've made was the result of mustard, dizzy, and and smoke - that's it.
    ·
  • When i injected my butt all the injection ran out of the butt... So i dont inject anymore
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,635
    A tip for the injectors-cover the target meat with a saran-wrap material and inject thru the covering.  Helps keep the stray shots contained and clean up is much easier.  I have read (not tried it) of some who warm up the injection and juice it up after the stall.  I believe fishlessman has done it that way with good results.  FWIW-
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    @lousubcap I tried your saran suggestion (from another recent post) on a brine for corned brisket yesterday and I think it works great... Thanks

as for injections the choice is yours. I like that the egg will produce nice juicy meat without the added time and ingredients for injecting. I now mix warm apple juice to some fat drippins and maybe some soda depending on my mood and mix it while its being pulled.
    ·
  • When i did mine last, i did cover it in saran wrap... It was also my worst pork butt ever. Came out super dryed on the inside. Cant tell if it was the shoulder or because i injected it
    ·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    @mdb Not sure.. I guess you should stick to what works. I stopped injecting because I'm lazy. Not because of taste.
    ·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,795
    I just did 2 8lb butts side by side this weekend.  Same rub (Byron Butt Rub) on each.  I injected one with Stubbs Chipotle Butter and brought them both to a party.  The Chipotle one was preferred as it had a little more flavor but there was nothing left of either butt. 

Garnerville, NY
    ·