Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pulled beef - just the best

IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
edited September 2012 in Beef
8 lb. Chuck shoulder, yellow mustard and rub for a few hours - let rest out of fridge for a few hours.  Put on egg at 4AM Sunday cooked at 250 for 13 hours and pulled at 5PM Sunday night - oak and cherry for smoke.  I just love this stuff, would take over pulled pork - just the best.  So juicy and an unbelievable flavor.  If you haven't tried it yet, you should give it a shot.  
·

Comments

• SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,272
    Same as chuck roast? Guessing not. Where do you get chuck shoulder?
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I believe it is actually.  I think the roast is a part of the shoulder cut and similar to a clod, but might be a bit away from clod.  I get confused with all the term, but I assume very similar.  
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,347
    I like the pulled beef a lot too.   Got to plan that in advance to find a 6 - 8lb one on sale.  They tend to cut them down to 4lbs or less at my local supermarket.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
    I get it at my butcher.  It is a great cut and I can get whatever weight I want - he is a fantastic butcher.  Also, I found it everywhere and variety at restaurant depot.  Definitely a more expensive cut then pork butt, but every so often well worth it.    
    ·
    I actually got it once at my supermarket and it came out terrible, dry - very disappointed.  I have become all about quality and don't mind spending a bit more to get a better cut (to my wife's dismay of course).  
    ·
  • blaccjackblaccjack Posts: 37
    edited September 2012
    Agreed. Better than pulled pork. I've seen it labeled as Beef Shoulder Roast, Beef Pot Roast, and other names. I cooked it like brisket, low and slow and wait until my Thermapen goes in like butter. Usually 195 - 205.
    ·
    Yes, I pulled at 205 and the Maverick meat temp probe just slid out.  Simply the best - nothing like it. 
    ·