Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pulled beef - just the best

IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
edited September 2012 in Beef
8 lb. Chuck shoulder, yellow mustard and rub for a few hours - let rest out of fridge for a few hours.  Put on egg at 4AM Sunday cooked at 250 for 13 hours and pulled at 5PM Sunday night - oak and cherry for smoke.  I just love this stuff, would take over pulled pork - just the best.  So juicy and an unbelievable flavor.  If you haven't tried it yet, you should give it a shot.  

Comments

• SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,307
    Same as chuck roast? Guessing not. Where do you get chuck shoulder?
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I believe it is actually.  I think the roast is a part of the shoulder cut and similar to a clod, but might be a bit away from clod.  I get confused with all the term, but I assume very similar.  
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,527
    I like the pulled beef a lot too.   Got to plan that in advance to find a 6 - 8lb one on sale.  They tend to cut them down to 4lbs or less at my local supermarket.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    I get it at my butcher.  It is a great cut and I can get whatever weight I want - he is a fantastic butcher.  Also, I found it everywhere and variety at restaurant depot.  Definitely a more expensive cut then pork butt, but every so often well worth it.    
    I actually got it once at my supermarket and it came out terrible, dry - very disappointed.  I have become all about quality and don't mind spending a bit more to get a better cut (to my wife's dismay of course).  
  • blaccjackblaccjack Posts: 37
    edited September 2012
    Agreed. Better than pulled pork. I've seen it labeled as Beef Shoulder Roast, Beef Pot Roast, and other names. I cooked it like brisket, low and slow and wait until my Thermapen goes in like butter. Usually 195 - 205.
    Yes, I pulled at 205 and the Maverick meat temp probe just slid out.  Simply the best - nothing like it.