Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Temp Stall

Fred19Flintstone
Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've got a couple of butts on the Egg and the stall has happened, according to my DigiQ2, at 185.  I've never had one stall at that high a temp before.  Maybe it's the DigiQ?  What do you think?
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i've read they can stall at 160 and again around 180/190 could double check with a instant read . good luck 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Maybe it was a couple of things including another stall.  I wasn't around for the first one because of my fantasy football draft.  I think this I got this mystery figured out.  DigiQ has a "ramp down" feature that starts cooling your pit when you are within 20 degrees of your food target temp.  If you hit a hi-temp stall then your egg starts cooling.  Mine was down to 220 which dramatically lengthens the cook.  I turned off the ramp down and the egg came back up to 250.  Now we're punching through at 189.  Thanks for the feedback Phil.  I just never have seen a butt stall at 185.
    Flint, Michigan
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I have seen (more frequently than not) a very slow climb (stall??) from around the mid 180's to mid 190's.  Last 7 # butt (running around 300*F on the calibrated dome) took 6 hours to get from around 40*F to 185-blew right thru the proverbial 160's stall-took 3 more hours to get from 185 to 193*F-no changes with the BGE.  That's the challenge/fun of Q'ing-no two hunks behave the same way. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I usually see the stall between 160+/- to 175+/- but I don't remember a stall just 10 measely degrees from the promised land.
    Flint, Michigan