Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Duck - what's the best technique?

jojobugay
jojobugay Posts: 28
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Looking to smoke duck and need advise using the EGG.  Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    The skin will be unedible.  I would use a light wood and not to much of it.  Go with the typical 250 degrees, fruit wood etc.  I would think that a spatchcock or standing cook would come out much better.   
  • Slit the skin in lots of places with a razor blade to drain the fat.  Indirect brest side down to start.  Flip when some fat has run out.  Recover the fat with a baster while cooking, it's great.  When it gets close to your target temp run it up to 350 or so dome to get the mailard reaction.  Drained fat and mailard reaction means good skin.  If you have a glaze put it on the last 10 minutes, maybe less.  Cherry will darken the skin nicely.  Worked for me after destroying one on the first try.  Personally, I'm sticking with chickens after my duck struggles.  I hadn't thought of a spatchcocked duck (thanks IrishDevl) and may give it a try.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • PS:  I assume you're doing a domestic duck.  Wild ducks and teal are a totally different animal.
    My actuary says I'm dead.