Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature

Options
bertscampers
bertscampers Posts: 136
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just finished a long cook and had some charcoal left.  Yesterday I cooked on the egg again so today I thought I would use up the charcoal that was left from the last two cooks and add some old charcoal I cleaned out before the long cook.  The problem is that it is really hard to get the temp up.  I have egg open completely and it is only at 400 dome and that took 45 minutes.  I know the there isn't enough ash to clog it up because I cleaned it up before the long and slow.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Cheers

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Did you check the holes in the fire box?  Those guys get ash in them & can adversely affect airflow.  

Also, you may need to add some new lump.

HTH,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • bertscampers
    Options
    Yeah I checked the hole.  I think I just need to use some new lump.   Thanks.

Cheers
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Lack of oxygen. I am 99% sure that's your problem. Poke a coat hanger up through the holes in the fire grate. I bet that will help.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    I made a "wiggle" tool from an old bbq tool set. I clipped one tine off the fork and bent the other one up at a 90*. The fork has a wood handle which gives it support. When I have a slow heat up problem it is usually blocked holes in the fire box grate. I shove the tool into the holes in the grate and wiggle....works for me!

Opelika, Alabama