Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a great Labor Day and are excited for the start of the NFL this week. If you’re not a sports fan, you can celebrate National Breakfast Month all September and National Cheese Pizza Day on September 5. We can’t wait to share some awesome fall recipes with you all! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Beef Tenderloin

bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 744
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Tomorrow we will having guests over and I am cooking a whole beef tenderloin on the XL.  My plan is to cook it before guests arrive to just short of rare, approx. 110° indirect, and FTC it for a while.  When the time comes we plan to slice off individual portions and sear them to the persons choice of doneness.  I will be rubbing with DP Raising the Steaks for initial cook.  Should I be giving them a sprinkle again before the sear?  Any comments on this cooking plan will be greatly appreciated.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Comments

• I guess if you can keep the whole tenderloin from cooking using FTC, go for it. 
    If you plan to slice each steak and cook to individual preference, why not just ask if folks want some more DP on their steak? 
    I'm a bit of tenderloin purest, let it speak for itself. Learned on here somewhere, only minerals, like salt, survive a sear, everything else pretty much burns, OK if you like that. If I was lucky enough to be on your guest list, I'd ask for mine seared the way you slice it, naked. (not you - the Tenderloin)
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Rather than doing the precook, you are correct, it might be easier to just cut the steaks and cook/spice to order.  I am baking potatoes and yams, but those can be done before the steak conflagration begins.  Thanks.
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa