Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

first overnight butt

TonyATonyA Posts: 567
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well, I'm giving the egg a go on my first overnight pork butt. I've always done them in a drum and had great results so we will see what happens here. Its also my first go with the Party Q. I've got my top vent half closed but I'm afraid I might work those batteries too hard to maintain temp

Comments

• Hey TonyA,
    This might be your first butt on the egg but it sounds like you've got more experience than many of us with overnights in general. The problem Ive had in the past is not being able to maintain temp below 300 then spiking during the night when I end up relighting. I'm doing an overnight tonight as well and trying hard to be patient with it and get everything stabilized before putting the meat on.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,893
    I thought I needed a controller. Not after cooking 2 butts for 16 hours steady. I use the maverick to keep eyes on the temps.

Garnerville, NY
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 567
    In the cooler now. Temps ranging from 199 to 202. I could barely get it off the grate in one piece. Looks super. I'm not serving until 5. Hopefully the cooler holds it.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 9,383
    TonyA said:
    In the cooler now. Temps ranging from 199 to 202. I could barely get it off the grate in one piece. Looks super. I'm not serving until 5. Hopefully the cooler holds it.

Good HDAF wrap and towels to eliminate the air space in the cooler and no worries!
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs 
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    ABC- 
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 567
    So, I didn't have any shaggy towels. My cooler is small though so I wasn't too worried. From 11:30 to 6pm it was still 148 degrees. It fell apart in the pan; moist and tender. Good balance of smoke, spice, and meaty goodness. I used 8 large chunks of wood apple and cherry.
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    Success! Glad all went well on your overnighter.