Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad day at work pizza....

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited August 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Well, mine was OK, but the spouse was frazzled and requested pizza comfort.

Set up was PS legs up, grid, Woo upside down, and stone.  So far this is my optimal pizza arraignment.

Heated to 400 (baker's recommendation) for a full hour ahead, so the stone and dome were well heat soaked.

Publixs dough, store sauce, Italian sausage, pepperoni, mixed cheese, fresh garlic, green pepper, and onions.  I have my way of layering, but so do all of you and it would be tedious to recite.

Done with parchment, pulled and turned at 5 minutes, turned again at 10 minutes, and taken off a few minutes later.

Very thin and crispy, and I got the pepperoni right (crisp and darkened - not smothered).

Pics to follow.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Pics

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    The wife and I have adopted a kinda paleo diet lately. I crave pizza like a 12 step'er misses the bottle. Yours looks divine. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    looks good Doc as usual wish mine looked that good 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Great looking pie.  Now that I learned to make them round, I need to learn to make them thin like that.  Mine always rise while cooking and end up a bit thick.
    Options
    Doc remind me do you have a large or extra large?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    This was done on an XL.  Most cooks you see use both the XL and the LBGE.  I generally do veggies on a half filled XL and meat on the LBGE.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Great looking pie.  Now that I learned to make them round, I need to learn to make them thin like that.  Mine always rise while cooking and end up a bit thick.
    Are you using store dough.  Make sure it sits out long enough to come to room temp.  Cool dough does not cook right.

• Tjcoley
    Options
    Store dough (Wegmans).  Let it set out 3 - 4 hours.  
    Options
    Not sure what to say, I have also experienced problems with the dough out too long so it starts rising before the cook.  I usually have mine out for 1 to 1.5 hours.

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    my best pizza's have been with dough from a local pizza cafe . the ones from wegmans and giant and frozen bread dough just never seemed to cook as nice plus the cafe's dough was easiest to work with two balls of dough they charged me 3 bucks may just get that for now on
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Thanks Doc.  I'll keep plugging away.  Good news is they always taste great no matter how they look.  
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I come home from work frazzled every day (sometimes worse), can I come visit?   :|

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.