Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Smoked Cheese

OnegrecookOnegrecook Posts: 121
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I smoked some cheese tonight using the method in the Naked Whiz website. It doesn't taste very good right after it's finished. I placed it in a ziplock bag and put it in the fridge. Will the flavor improve after a couple days?
·

Comments

• smaschsmasch Posts: 115
    I usually chill 24 hours after the cook.  It settles in.  I use the Southern Living BBQ Cookbook recipe and it works well.  
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
    ·
  • OnegrecookOnegrecook Posts: 121
    Thank you. Can that recipe be found online, or do you have to have the book?
    ·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,033
    Leave it in the refrigerator for a few days and it'll be fine. I refrigerate mine overnight, then vacuum seal it for a few days. What kind of wood did you use?
    ·
  • I always let mine set in the frisge for a week.  It takes a while for that smoke flavor to penetrate that cheese.  Compare the structure of the cheese to that of meat and should make sense why.
    ·
  • OnegrecookOnegrecook Posts: 121
    @egret I used apple. Is there a different wood you would recommend?

Thanks all for your help.
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,324
    the longer it sits, the milder it gets.  When sampling, ya need to slice couple slices as end cap has more surface area, thus more smoke.  I typically smoke with pecan under. Cold smoking is easier to do in the winter, colder outside temps let you manage cold smoke temps easier.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·