Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pecan Pie and Eggs

AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Last week, when defrosting the freezer in the basement, I found a pecan pie left-over from Turkey day. My wife made two, we only cooked one....and froze the other one(and kinda forgot about it).

Well, she took it outta the freezah today and after I got done grilling the lamb chops, I popped in the plate setter and put this puppy on for awhile. It's cooling now.....gonna have a slice in a bit.
DSCN1662.JPG
640 x 480 - 141K

Comments

• VA in GAVA in GA Posts: 54
    Looks Yummy!   How do you brown the crust edge?  Brush on Olive Oil like on pizza crust?
    Proud Griller of a BGE Medium, Small & Mini now!
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    I didn't put anything on the crust...looks like it was just some filling that bubbled up and got on the crust maybe.
  • AleBrewer, watch out for the crust bugler while the pie is cooling.  A pie that good looking brings 'em out of the woodwork.;-)
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
  • Does anyone have a good pecan pie recipe they care to share?  My wife makes one and 90% of the time we get tasty soup.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

• dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 492

Chocolate Pecan Pie

4 large eggs

½ cup melted butter

¾ cup sugar (white)

¼ cup brown sugar

¾ cup light corn syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla

(I usually add more vanilla and you can change the vanilla out for a couple tablespoons of quality bourbon for a little kick if you like the taste of it)

3/4 cup chocolate chips

1 and 1/4 cup chopped pecans 

I ready made pie crust ( I use the pilsbury kind )

Beat eggs, sugar, vanilla and corn syrup together. Add butter and mix well. 

Place the crust in pan. Pour chocolate chips and pecans in the bottom of the pie crust. Pour the sugar/egg mixture over the top. 

Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & finally a mini BGE!)
  • Thanks dweebsOr!  We have a church dinner coming up and we'll give this a shot.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

• ratcheerratcheer Posts: 189
    Does anyone have a good pecan pie recipe they care to share?  My wife makes one and 90% of the time we get tasty soup.
    I have the same problem, Fred. My brother uses the exact same recipe and his always come out perfect. I have no idea why (or I would correct it).

Tim
  • Maybe my problem is Wilma is baking it?  She's got a new job working 3rd shift and starts next week.  Maybe the "Pie Elves" will show up at our place one night when she's at work with a Chocolate Pecan Pie?