Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Charcoal Question

Options
bevg
bevg Posts: 9
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever heard of or used "Best of the West" 100% Lump Mesquite Charcoal?  Wondering if it is any good?

Large BGE - Northern California

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    It will generally have huge lumps, which don't work the way you expect.  You need to break them up some.  It lights well, but sparks a lot.  I use it frequently.  If you have a good price, go for it.

I tend to lay some of it down, then put some RO on top.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That looks like the smaller bag version of the stuff I was using from Sam's Club.  It smelled a little like anthracite.  Lots of dust. Like 1/3 of the bag one time.  I stopped buying it. The food tasted fine, however, and it had some serious BTU.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Hopefully you can find a better fuel.  Never a fan of Mesquite in the Egg....too strong. IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Hopefully you can find a better fuel.  Never a fan of Mesquite in the Egg....too strong. IMO

Yeah, and there's that - mesquite's the "cigar" of lump.  Strong like a house fire.
    Options
    I used about 60lbs of the Best of the West.  It really ran the gauntlet between huge pieces and dust.  And i got a few pieces shaped like branches that really sparked. No problems at all during the egg closed phase, but problematic during high heat cooks where I had the Egg buring at Lava temps for steaks and was frequently opening the Egg during the cook.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    It will generally have huge lumps, which don't work the way you expect.  You need to break them up some.  It lights well, but sparks a lot.  I use it frequently.  If you have a good price, go for it.

I tend to lay some of it down, then put some RO on top.
    If you want some mesquite flavour, this is the way to go. Works very well. Not sure what Doc finds works best but I never use more than 20% mesquite mixed with the RO and it adds a great hint of mesquite, burgers and steaks mostly. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bevg
    bevg Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!!!!
    Large BGE - Northern California
  • Jonnysouth
    Options
    I've used Best of the West for the majority of my cooks...I've experienced the "sparking" during most of the lighting stage....I asked my wife to pick up 3 or 4 bags of Royal Oak or Best of the West while she was in town....she came home with 4 BOTW 20lb bags as she only paid $8.74 per bag! I thought that was a pretty good price so I got some more of it. This was at my local Sams Club. If anyone else likes this brand it might be worth checking to see if prices have dropped in your area.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My Sams carries Kingsford only.  Cowboy and RO are easy to get and I just burned some WW for the first time and ordered more from ACE.  I've never seen mesquite charcoal (except Kingsford) here in Michigan, but if I do I'll check it out.
    Flint, Michigan
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    I finally had a really bad bag of the "Best of the West".  I had two pieces in the grill that were throwing sparks in a bad way.  One got my eyelid even past my sunglasses. (literally like a sparkler from 4th of July) I closed the lid after the fire was going pretty good and actually had sparks coming out of the top of the BGE without the daisy wheel on.  I'm all about a bargain, but after that little fire shower I won't be buying any more.  

As someone mentioned above, it seemed both of these pieces were shaped like branches rather than cut lumber.  

I found my favorite anyways, WGWW for about 1 dollar/lb so I'm happy for now.