Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Packer Brisket: Travis Style

newegg13newegg13 Posts: 231
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Tonight is the night for my first brisket cook. I hope it doesn't suck. If it does, I'll blame it on Travis. 12lb choice packer Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos All rubbed down and ready for the accessories Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Ready to go on. Waiting for the egg to stabilize now. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos More to come. Wish me luck.
Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL

Comments

• Good Luck! I almost bought one today....
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Is it on?
  • newegg13newegg13 Posts: 231
    Is it on?

Indeed. Barely fit on the egg. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Settling down Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    I am down for the count. Let's hope it stays dialed in.
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,806
    Keep us posted Travis.
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,334

Keep us posted Travis.

=))
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,861
    Well...... How is it going?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    Woke up an the internal temp is much higher than expected. . . About 205. Does the liquid give a bad reading or do I pull it now?
    FYI- the probe definitely isn't sliding in and out like butta.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    Do you ever work for Sammy Andrews Co? Best on your brisket and sure hope you have a second way to pull a temp.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

Crisis averted. My meat thermometer is waaaay off. The "instant read" is at 183.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Pulled and FTC a few hours ago. Dinner is in 45 minutes. Hope it's good...
    edited August 2012
    All sliced up, albeit incorrectly. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Outstanding nonetheless.
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,334
    That pic is of the point, correct?  

Great smoke ring.  I get a good smoke taste, but i've never gotten a smoke ring anywhere close to that.  Maybe i'm doing it wrong. lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,884
    Congrats-and like flying "any landing you can walk away from is great"-nice job-enjoy that hunk of brisket.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • Looks juicy!
  • Looks awesome! Did you trim at all before applying your rub?
  • Looks like you nailed it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    edited August 2012
    That pic is of the point, correct?  

Great smoke ring.  I get a good smoke taste, but i've never gotten a smoke ring anywhere close to that.  Maybe i'm doing it wrong. lol
    That was actually the flat. May not have separated them perfectly, though. The flat was pretty fatty in some spots too.
    Congrats-and like flying "any landing you can walk away from is great"-nice job-enjoy that hunk of brisket.

Agreed. After my thermometer went haywire and I thought I ruined it, I was very pleased with the result. Looks like I have an excuse to get a maverick now. Thanks.
    Looks awesome! Did you trim at all before applying your rub?
    I tried to trim the flat to about 1/4 inches of fat. On the point, I mostly just tried to even it out. I cooked it fat side up and (I think) I sliced it that way too.