Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Longest stall I have had.

Options
gee
gee Posts: 71
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

I am cooking four butts on My LBGE and am at 15 hrs and just came out of the longest stall I have ever had(over six Hrs @165. Dome temp steady at 225). Could this be from haveing so many butts on the egg? I have cooked two butts at a time many times and never had a stall this long.

Who cares I'll post where I want

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Holy crap, that's not really a stall, that's a whole farkin rib cook!! hehe.. .

anyway, if it was me, and I didn't see any movement for.... oh, I dunno... maybe 2 hrs... I'd have kicked the heat up a bit & powered through it.  

I don't think this would have caused much problems, then after you started noticing the meat temp rising again, you could readjust the vents back down... 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Wow, I would not have had the patience to wait it out, everything turn put ok?
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Hmmmmmmm . . . . if dome is 225F . . . . then grid temp could be as much as 50F lower? so maybe 175F? . . . . No wunder it 'stalled' . . . there's no delta-T to push heat into the roast . . . raise the dome and you'll be on your way!

BTW I did one last night that started at 9 pm. I set 280F dome and this morning at 4 am dome was 300F and internal temp was 185F so I made coffee, etc. and IT was 200F an hour later and I pulled it (pun intended). No stall at 300F dome. 
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Hmmmmmmm . . . . if dome is 225F . . . . then grid temp could be as much as 50F lower? so maybe 175F? . . . . No wunder it 'stalled' . . . there's no delta-T to push heat into the roast . . . raise the dome and you'll be on your way!

BTW I did one last night that started at 9 pm. I set 280F dome and this morning at 4 am dome was 300F and internal temp was 185F so I made coffee, etc. and IT was 200F an hour later and I pulled it (pun intended). No stall at 300F dome. 
    +1 Steve makes a good point - there is really no reason to go that low.  When I do mine, I usually try to get 275 +/- 15 on my dome temp.  
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Are you checking only 1 or all 4? I probe each and record temps every 2 minutes. Amazing how different each are and how long each stall for when they are bought from the same place, same weight and cooked at the same time.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

While I tend to agree with your sentiment, after a couple hours the dome and grid temps will have merged.  I am doing a single pork shoulder now, and we have held well at around 250 grid (which became the same as the dome thermometer at about one hour.)  Six hours in and 167 internal.  No stall yet.

My last shoulder climbed steadily, and sort of stalled for about a half an hour.  Tasted great.  The ones before that stalled for about 5 hours.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Thanks, Doc! That's good to know.
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71
    Options
    I had probes in all 4 butts no they all did not read the same but for trying to be short with the post I gave generalities. The dome and pit temps were not far off from each other witin a degree or two ( digital pit and tel tru analog dome.). I guess next time I will have to give specifics.:)!
    Who cares I'll post where I want