Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket cooking very quickly

Options
Captpablo
Captpablo Posts: 63
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I put a butt and brisket on this AM at 9am.  Dome @ 275 - 300 degrees and Grate approx 257/275 degrees.

Brisket is 6.5lbs and already @ 150 degrees in 1.5 hours. Yes, it's a small brisket, but its cooking very quickly and worried about tenderness.

Any thoughts on how this is going to turn out? Do I need a back up plan?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I would never cook a 6.5 lb flat and expect it to turn out tender.

I wouldnt worry about it. Cooking a little fast will keep it as moist as it can get. Super slow is bad for small flats.  
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Captpablo
    Options
    Either would I, but my it's what my wife brought home. Not the end of the world.

I did this size before and it works out. Not sure moist. Foil and cooler did help a lot.

Apple juice? Water in drip pan? suggestions for moisture?

@ 230 grate, should I bump it up?
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Your 6.5 lbs is much bigger than my 2lb brisket I did. That one still had some juices and was fine for a meal, made great sandwiches. It did have a stall period of almost 2 hours so u may be ok. I did foil with some apple juice the last 20 degrees or so, Let us know how it turns out.

BTW I have no experience of cooking very large briskets, maybe did 6-8 lbs tops so don't have a comparison of large super tender briskets.
    Seattle, WA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    @ Captpablo-If you want brisket and all you can get are flats-then don't be alarmed by those who have access to packers all the time.  Flats are definitely more of a challenge as the window for success is quite small ( I usually only see flats and get more singles and doubles than home-runs-but the journey is worth it every time).  I'm sure you are past the stall now but it can take forever to get through it-so make some notes from this one and build on that for the next go-round.  FWIW- ( and not much) I will cook a flat in the 6-8# range every 4-5 weeks just because.  Besides if a little dry-chop it up, mix with your favorite Q sauce and great for sammiches. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You look like you are in good hands to me. I bet it's good.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX