Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

WIreless / Remote Thermometer

swboutonswbouton Posts: 21
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,

I've had by large BGE for about 6 weeks now and it is becoming an obsession.  I am not much of a griller, but things are looking up.

I think I should buy a good wireless thermometer that can withstand the temperatures of the BGE.  I am looking at Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732.

What do you folks think?  Is a wireless thermometer a good idea?  What do you experts recommend?

Thanks for your help.,

Steve

·

Comments

• rickHPrickHP Posts: 49

Wireless is a good choice if you do a lot of low and slow cooks, like brisket and pork shoulder. Not so necessary for high and fast like steaks - so not sure it needs to "withstand the temperatures of the BGE"

I have the Maverick and like it a lot and it seems to be the wireless of choice around here.

·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,785
    I use mine ONLY for low & slows. The dome thermometer works good enough for me for higher temps where close is good enough.  I have the former Maverick model (ET-73) and it's 9-10 years old now.  Original probes too!  If mine ever dies, I'll be purchasing the ET-732.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • cas_sjcas_sj Posts: 6

Absolutely love my Maverick for ribs, shoulders, brisket, rib roast (yeah!), even chicken (spatchcocked of course).  It's essential - wouldn't try cooking any of those without it now.

Don't even bother with steaks, chops, hamburgers, etc - unnecessary for anything that you're not going to cook low and slow.  (Well, the chicken I would typically cook at something like 375, so technically that may not be "low and slow", but you get the point.)

·
  • cas_sjcas_sj Posts: 6

ps....  For the high temperature cooks, a quick digital probe is what you need.  You'll probably find most here swear by the Thermapen - yep, pricey - but I wouldn't be without that either.  (Wish I had waited for the one with the flames!)

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,277
    Love my Maverick, especially since my porch faces west; when its 99 degree out its sure nice to glance over at the meat temp in the Air Conditioning from my La-Z-Boy...  

One warning, the instructions tell you not to immerse the probes in water.  I killed my meat probe with a quick dunk in the sink, had only been used a few times.   
    :((

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    +1 love my maverick, and I baby it because of that. 
    No water at end of probe where wire goes, no searing temps. No exposure (even the wire)  over direct heat. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • PhiliciousPhilicious Posts: 316
    I got one too and have had no problems with it.  My bedroom and side of the bed is as far away from my egg as I can get in my home and the wireless works great.  Got mine from Fred.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,526
    I got the Mav 732 and like it. Go for it. Has good range as well.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • swboutonswbouton Posts: 21
    Thanks for all the great responses.  I appreciate it
    ·