Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 Sholders at Once

Options
Spreen
Spreen Posts: 3
edited August 2012 in Pork
I'm still pretty new to the egg, but I did a pork shoulder a few weeks back following Elder Ward's method (find it on the Whiz's site) and it turned out great.  I plan on doing 3 shoulders this Saturday.  Question I have is on cook time; the shoulders are 6 to 7 lbs. each so can i still figure on 1.5 to 2 hours per pound based on a single shoulder, or do I need to figure it on 20 lbs. of meat?  I know temp makes a difference but I'm thinking at about 250 everything should be done in 12 hours easy.  Any thoughts?

Comments

• bertscampers
    Options
    I'm also new but I would think since they are individual pieces and the temp will be set you should consider the time on 6-7 lbs.  If its one piece it take much longer for the heat to reach the middle of the meat.
  • Spreen
    Spreen Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm also new but I would think since they are individual pieces and the temp will be set you should consider the time on 6-7 lbs.  If its one piece it take much longer for the heat to reach the middle of the meat.

That's what I'm thinking.  Just wasnt sure if anybody had experience doint this and learned something different. Thanks
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Yes, take the individual piece weights for a time estimate, not the collective weight...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited August 2012
    Options
    +1 with Mighty_Quinn-and even though they are about the same weight, if you can, monitor them individually at least as they get close to the finish-line.  They can finish a few hours apart so that can cause some issues if not watching.  Use the Foil, towels, cooler (FTC) to hold the speedy one(s) til all are finished if necessary.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BGEXL_Nick
    Options
    I did four at once this past spring.  I tried to get them as close in weight as possible.  The were all within a pound of each other.  I only have one temperature probe, so I stuck it in the largest.  I took them up when it hit 190 degrees then FTC'd them.  Pulled the meat around two hours after that.  They turned out great.  I've been using the 1.5-2 hours a pound to judge when to start them so they'll be ready on time.  I've been having problems with my temperature dropping on me while I catch some sleep.  So I just use the probe and its done when its done :)