Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

250 degrees dome = 195 grate?

Options
Rubmyrock
Rubmyrock Posts: 266
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
After 8 hours raised indirect? Does this even sound right?

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    No. After 8 hours I usually am pretty close to both being the same. Maybe 235-240 grate.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Lit said:

No. After 8 hours I usually am pretty close to both being the same. Maybe 235-240 grate.

Agreed
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Rubmyrock
    Options
    Strange. Something is off
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Did you open the lid at all?

Options
    Might be time to calibrate your dome thermometer. I do mine every couple months and still its 30-50 degrees off sometimes.
  • Rubmyrock
    Options
    No, haven't opened lid, not even home. My neighbor read out temps to me without opening
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Same here. How are you measuring the grate temp? Do you trust that thermo? If it is a probe, how close is it to the meat? After 8 I'd expect them to be very close anyway, so as you say, Something is off. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited August 2012
    Options
    No, haven't opened lid, not even home. My neighbor read out temps to me without opening
    Are you sure your neighbor is not opening it?  :-?

I usually have a 30 degrees differential between dome and grate but last night, nada, dome was equal to grate even after opening the dome!?  Maybe because I cooked pizzas before my overnight pork butt and the ceramic was already hot...  My setup was also somewhat different, I usually place my drip pan directly on the platesetter but this time it was on the grate and the v-rack was in the pan; better airflow?

Anyway, I checked both thermometers by measuring temperature in a hot water bath and they were both reading the same temperature. I guess you could do the same to make sure that your thermometers are calibrated.

edited August 2012
    Options
    Bet your running out of lump.

Edit. I read wrong.
  • Rubmyrock
    Options
    Indeed. I was running out of lump. Some had dropped to 200 by the time I got home. Both brisket and grate were at 180. I removed it because we were starving and it had been riding at 250 for almost 10 hours. (10 pound brisket). Fat cap slid off east with my wide spatula. Flipped over, sliced, and is the best meat I've ever cooked. I used a good amount of turbinado sugar, and half and half dizzy dust/ swamp venom. Also I injected last night with briaket inside package with a combination of allegro spicy marinade, beef broth and worchester. Amazing!!!!!