Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Dome temp and grate temp

robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,907
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
During the cook today I am seeing that my dome temp is reading 230 and the new Maverick is reading 230 at the grate level.  This is only after about 15 minutes in.  I have calibrated the dome thermometer in boiling water too. 

Should the dome be at least 25 degrees hotter?  I can understand the same after hours of not opening the egg.

Is that right?  or have I been overcooking my foods and that is why I am having issues.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    normal. no worries.

someone says "250 degrees' they mean dome temp generally

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,903
    edited August 2012
    When I have my plate setter in, my dome starts out starts out a good 50 degrees higher, settles in about 20 degrees higher and near the end get gets closer to even.  If mine were even from the beginning, I would think one of the thermometers is off.
    I'd check both thermometers at the same time to be sure.  Every time I check one of my thermometers, I check them all.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,831
    I used to have a Maverick ET-73. What I noticed was that the position of the grill probe made a big difference. If it was within and inch of a big mass of cold meat, it would indicate a much cooler temperature than if it was off near the edge, where it would show a much hotter temperature.

The meat probe, which failed twice, was more useful. I could look at the remote read out, and see the meat climb to the plateau temperature, hold, and then continue rising.

Eventually, the only thing I used the Maverick for was to have an alarm when the temperature went low enough that the fire was most likely going out.

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 5,001
    If you calibrated both, trust them. There can be a difference but not always.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.