Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket without drip pan?

Options
Rubmyrock
Rubmyrock Posts: 266
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Is this acceptable?

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    All of the briskets I've done have needed a drip pan - a lot of drippings that would put out the lump.  I low and slow at 220 so there is too big of a chance that the drippings would kill the fire.  Others on the forum can talk to the smoke caused by the drippings.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    A few thoughts in the FWIW category-working back from the end-result anything that gets you great tasting food works for me.  For me the drip pan serves as the heat deflector, separating the lump temp (quite hot-regardless of fire volume) from the food, thus indirect.  Low&slow works on the meat being exposed to low temps for long periods. So, if you can get decent food to lump separation you could go direct but I'm thinking the renderings into the fire would cause flare-ups.  Now if you mean cooking indirect just without the drip pan-then your platesetter or whetever deflector will get a fair amount of crud on it and some flare-ups may occur but that's about it-never tried it though-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    I have skipped the pan before while using the platesetter and it wasn't a problem.
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Options
    I found mine. It was inside my gas grill. Using plate setter and drip pan
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Not recommended. It's a freaking mess. If you do it to often, the grease will get in the pores of your egg and sweat out when it gets hot. It's nasty.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I can't remember what the posters handle was, but a guy cooked 4-6 butts without a drip pan on here. As CTS suggested, it was rather nasty.. grease seeping out looking like vomit infused with baby poop. After that post I have always used a drip pan. Lol. It isn't required, but saves sone trouble in end if you do use one.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    BYS1981 said:

I can't remember what the posters handle was, but a guy cooked 4-6 butts without a drip pan on here. As CTS suggested, it was rather nasty.. grease seeping out looking like vomit infused with baby poop. After that post I have always used a drip pan. Lol. It isn't required, but saves sone trouble in end if you do use one.

I think It was @duganboy but it's been a while. Not 100% sure. That was nasty though.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options

Not recommended. It's a freaking mess. If you do it to often, the grease will get in the pores of your egg and sweat out when it gets hot. It's nasty.

A freaking mess is right. You should have seen the crud in the pans when I pulled mine this morning. Couldn't imagine all that on my PS or running down into my coals.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I usually collect a gallon of drippings and charred goo when I do a brisket. It would be like pouring a gallon of bacon grease in your egg. That's a lot of goo
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    There's a pic somewhere on here were someone's egg looked like it had the plague cause grease was seeping out of it. Keep the drip pan if for nothing but cleanliness sake! I didn't wanna fool with it on some rib cooks and made a huge mess. Do it now, not always with water, just for sake of being neat.

XLBGE