Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Killer Wing Recipe for Eggfest

Duganboy
Duganboy Posts: 1,118
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking at an Eggfest on 8/18.  I volunteered to do Moink Balls and they called today and asked if I could do some wings as well.

Would love to hear some of your go to wing recipes. Doc's looked good tonight and for the first time EVER he didn't give any instructions.

TIA

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Ha.  My recipe is simple, but I have gotten a lot of complements on them.  Seriously marinated (like a couple of days) in Dichickos Garlic or Hot, or a mix of them.  Done 400 indirect (my preferred) or slightly cooler direct, for about 30 minutes.

Not fancy, but it works for me.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Duganboy
    @Doc_Eggerton

Atta boy Doc. The Moink Balls are indirect so that would be the way to go.  Did you sauce them?  They look great
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited August 2012
    I generally eat them as they come off, usually while they are still too hot.  I would suspect that a squirt of the sauce shortly before pulling them might be good, but I don't toss them in sauce after pulling.

Like I said, pretty simple, but I like them.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i use half famous daves devil spit and half red hot wing sauce and butter also use swamp venom on the wings 350/370 direct raised when done into the sauce then back on for another five mins 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • preneau
    preneau Posts: 7
    Cook plain wings direct till almost done.
    Sauce... 1 bottle Luisianne hot sauce, 1 stick butter, 1 tsp white vinegar. Sauce wings well and let stand for 10 minutes. Then place back on grill and turn once. Grill just long enough to brown them with the sauce. I use 10 pounds wings to 1 large bottle sauce. Never had a complaint.
  • Duganboy
    Thanks guys.  Keep'em coming. I'd like to have a couple of selections.  All of these sound great.
  • John Henry's Cherry Chipotle rub.  Rub them, cook them then add a little more rub.  First bite is sweet as candy then the heat arrives.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Steal Cazzy's. It's on here. They are money.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    John Henry's Cherry Chipotle rub.  Rub them, cook them then add a little more rub.  First bite is sweet as candy then the heat arrives.
    I love the John Henry rubs, but the local distributor is no longer in business. I may have to place a mail order. I liked using the Sugarfoot rub a few years back, but would love to try the Cherry Chipotle.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

Steal Cazzy's. It's on here. They are money.

Yep
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2012
    I've done this recipe a few times and they are always a hit with most* people:

*Note that a couple of people that I served these to found them to be really hot.  I guess different types of spice affect people differently, because I didn't think they were spicy at all.  Perhaps some folks tongues have an aversion to Sriracha!

While searching for the recipe I ran across a variation that looks interesting.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Steal Cazzy's. It's on here. They are money.
    Yep

YEP +1

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• +2 for cazzy's wangz

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    I usually cook mine direct on a raised grid at about 400* for 45 minutes or so. In the past I have used swamp venom or jamaican firewalk from DP and a small piece of either apple or pecan for added flavor. In the last month or so I took Doc_Eggerton's advice and tried the dichicko's peri peri and am now a convert to both the marinade & the garlic sauce. Both are top notch with a wonderful flavor and the heat level is not overpowering at all.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314

@ Duganboy-congrats on cooking at theEggfest (may save you some $$).  Slow day here so below is cazzy's wing recipe mentioned above: (for some reason I couldn't get the link to work).

Ingredients needed
    • Chicken wings (whole or cut to flappers and drumettes)
    • 1 cup soy sauce (low sodium)
    • 1 cup brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup Mirin Rice Wine
    • 1 tbsp fresh ginger root (peeled and grated)
    • 1 tsp chili flakes
    *I use this as a base and multiply quantities based on need. 

Making Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Sauce

In a sauce pan...bring soy, brown sugar and mirin rice wine to a boil and leave on heat till brown sugar has dissolved.  Stir regularly and throughout after boil to avoid scorching. Low heat and add ginger and chili flakes.  Simmer for 10 min while stirring regularly.  Remove from heat and refrigerate. 

Marination

Marinate wings for 24 hours in chilled marinade prior to cook (the chili flakes will rise to the top so shake it up). I use a gallon bag to marinate because I like to lay bag flat and flip after 12 hours.  

Cook

Fire up egg and stabilize at 375-400.  I use a adjustable rig with a 16" drip pan and cook above the felt line.  Place drumettes on outside and flappers in the middle because it will be hotter on the outside due to the drip pan.  

This is the anal part but I find it really makes the wings tacky and layers the flavor.  At 5 min, I baste with marinade, then again at 10 min.  At 15, I flip and baste and then baste again at 20 min.  This process is why I use a drip pan cause the marinade will make your lump smoke a undesirable taste into the wings.  Your wings will be at about 145-150 and should really start having a beautiful brownish red color.  Remove at 165...I check each one then remove.  Some may go over a lil but no worry...as you know, our eggs are very forgiving.

Using different soy sauces will change the flavor a tad and you can reduce/increase ginger and chili flakes based on preference.  Feel free to ask me any questions.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited August 2012
    I usually cook mine direct on a raised grid at about 400* for 45 minutes or so. In the past I have used swamp venom or jamaican firewalk from DP and a small piece of either apple or pecan for added flavor. In the last month or so I took Doc_Eggerton's advice and tried the dichicko's peri peri and am now a convert to both the marinade & the garlic sauce. Both are top notch with a wonderful flavor and the heat level is not overpowering at all.
    Hooah!  They have some varieties that are fire breathers, but I like Garlic best.  I bought a peri-peri plant that produces a lot of peppers which I dry and use in stir fry.

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350

Saw this recipe yesterday and I'm going to give it a try - they look good!!

http://www.biggreenegg.com/features/fired-up-chicken-wings/

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Damn, damn.  Getting some wing love on this thread.  :\">

They are very good...but hey...i'm biased.  

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Duganboy, if you make the marinade tonight or tomorrow...the heat will have plenty of time to develop for the fest.  
  • Duganboy
    @cazzy looks like you are the wing hero on this forum.  Eggfest is next Saturday, so I may do a practice round midweek.

@lousubcap thanks for posting the recipe.
  • cazzy
    edited August 2012
    @cazzy looks like you are the wing hero on this forum.  Eggfest is next Saturday, so I may do a practice round midweek.

LOL...I guess.

I debuted them at the Salado Eggfest and they went over well, especially with Travis and Village Idiot.  They have a good combination of sweet and hot...but the chili flakes need to steep to develop heat.  The longer the marinade sits, the better it gets.  Also, make enough so you have some baste with.  Don't really want to baste with marinade that raw chicken has been sitting in.

Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions.  

• Duganboy
    @cazzy thanks.  I'm going to make a batch this weekend.  Then I will know enough to ask questions.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    @cazzy my batch ( your recipe) is in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch, that marinate is killer. I can't wait to get those off the egg. Doing your recipe, some teriyaki and some jerk. Should be a good feed. Those pics have we chopping at the bit.  (more wing love.  :D)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    @cazzy how many wings does this recipe call for?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    cazzy said:

LOL...I guess.

I debuted them at the Salado Eggfest and they went over well, especially with Travis and Village Idiot.  They have a good combination of sweet and hot...but the chili flakes need to steep to develop heat.  The longer the marinade sits, the better it gets.  Also, make enough so you have some baste with.  Don't really want to baste with marinade that raw chicken has been sitting in.

Made these wings last night after cazzy was kind enough to get me back to the road map. Marinade sat for one day. I reserved some of the sauce for basting. Did not discard the marinade, instead, boiled it on the gasser's side burner while the wings were on the egg. Reduced it down to the consistency of corn syrup. Unbelievable!!! What a dipping sauce. Like candy with a punch.
    Thanks Cazzy - a great wing cook. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy
    edited August 2012
    alynd said:
    @cazzy how many wings does this recipe call for?
    That's a great question.  I'd say it could easily handle a couple dozen.  It's really hard to say cause I usually make a milk jug at a time and just let it get better like a fine wine.
  • cazzy
    cazzy said:

LOL...I guess.

Made these wings last night after cazzy was kind enough to get me back to the road map. Marinade sat for one day. I reserved some of the sauce for basting. Did not discard the marinade, instead, boiled it on the gasser's side burner while the wings were on the egg. Reduced it down to the consistency of corn syrup. Unbelievable!!! What a dipping sauce. Like candy with a punch.
    Thanks Cazzy - a great wing cook. 

Very happy you enjoyed them and are now part of the growing wing cult.  One other member boiled his marinade too...definitely seems like a great option.  
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I ate some ( I think I was able to scarf more than 1 ) at Salado last year.   Those were outstanding.   Best wings I have ever had.  There were four of us in the same car that drove down, drive back conversation was discussing what we really liked.  Everyone in the car agreed the Wings were at the top.

Cookin in Texas
  • cazzy
    edited August 2012
    boatbum said:

I ate some ( I think I was able to scarf more than 1 ) at Salado last year.   Those were outstanding.   Best wings I have ever had.  There were four of us in the same car that drove down, drive back conversation was discussing what we really liked.  Everyone in the car agreed the Wings were at the top.

Very cool to hear that kinda feedback.  Are you going this year??  I'll definitely be back again this year. I think everyone is trying to set-up next to travis so I figure i'll try to set up next to the rock star too.