Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Tuna Debut rained out

OutcastOutcast Posts: 112
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
First I have to admit, I've never been much for seafood.  But seeing how most of it I had growing up was dry and overcooked ( my mom cooked ALL protiens till they were leather) I thought I'd give it another shake.  I had planned on cooking some yellowfin tuna steaks on the egg tonight, but a big rain and lightning storm killed that.  So instead I seared the steaks in a CI pan with salt and pepper and roasted some brussel sprouts int the oven.  They had a nice sear, about a 1/4" ring of "cooked", and the rest was rare.  My wife immediately turned up her nose and fixed a sandwich.  I tried it, and wow.  To me it tasted almost as good as beef steak!   I cant wait to try  it on the egg next time.  Why didn't y'all tell me it was this good ?

(Sorry no pics, I wasn't expecting much from it)

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,932
    Here are a few pics from my last yellowfin cook. I slow smoked @160 dome with apple wood. Then I made a dip with shiracha, mayo, celery, garlic, sweet relish and honey mustard. It was DA BOMB. imageimage
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • BayaradBayarad Posts: 308
    I love making fish dip! Looks awesome Travis! I have to use frozen mahi mahi for mine as I am in Northern Illinois not much fresh Mahi here but will have to try with tuna!
  • BayaradBayarad Posts: 308
    Though not much fresh tuna here either! Damn I need to move!
  • OutcastOutcast Posts: 112
    Thanks Travis, I'm going to add that to my list now.  I still cant get past oysters, but I'm going to try a lot more fish now.
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    @travis: while that dip looks delicious part of me is cringing at the thought of fully cooking fresh tuna.
    I need to shed some established perceptions.
    Its on the list.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,932
    I found a pic of the final product on my phone.

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r512/travisstrick/cda7cf67.jpg
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.