Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pit probe should go to ...?

DeafNativeTexanDeafNativeTexan Posts: 7
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have DigiQ DX2, but haven't used it yet.. You guys have either DigiQ or CybeQ or Stroker or other brand of temperature controllers.  My understanding is that both temperatures (grate and dome) are not the same (around +/- 30* F difference).  I am just curious, which one is ideal that pit probe should go? Clipping to grate or dome thermo or put pit probe inside the daisy wheel from outside of egg & leave it hanging freely inside the dome. Hope this makes sense to you..  Anyway. maybe it is individual's personal preference, right?
·

Comments

• tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    Most recipes state the dome temp.
    Clip the probe to the dome thermo stem.
    In other cases clip to grid
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    I have a DigiQ and I clip it to the grid in a place that it is protected, like over the platesetter.  Just think it makes sense to know the temp where the cooking is going on.
    ·
  • chuffchuff Posts: 255
    I have a DigiQ and I clip it to the grid in a place that it is protected, like over the platesetter.  Just think it makes sense to know the temp where the cooking is going on.
    Me too. I don't have a controller, but I always use a thermocouple at grid level. The most valuable temperature to know is the one right by the food. Trying to guess the difference and relationship between the two doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I live by my fairly spending digital thermocouple and ignore the dial dome thermo entirely. 
    XL BGE
    ·