Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Is this a good deal?

RubmyrockRubmyrock Posts: 266
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• quit reading when it said "better than Big Green Egg"
    ·
  • I'd say it was a pretty good deal.  But almost seems to be too good of a deal, good luck.
    St. Mary's, GA
    ·
  • Was it legit? I wouldn't buy it just cause I don't want a grill dome. Seams like might be fraud.

XLBGE 
    ·
  • xraypat23xraypat23 Posts: 421
    worth a shot, but 15" makes me think it's a medium

·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Fraud?? Seriously??
    ·
  • Fraud?? Seriously??

Sarcasm? Or no?

I'd never sell something two years old for 75% off.

XLBGE 
    ·
  • chuffchuff Posts: 255
    Fraud?? Seriously??
    I too am curious what makes people think it's a fraud. It's a well known brand, plenty of pictures, and while it's a decent price it isn't exactly a steal for the size so what gives? What's the big red flag? He's obviously including his (not great) table in the "almost a thousand dollars", but it's a medium cooker at 15". $350 doesn't seem super cheap for a used medium.
    XL BGE
    ·
  • I agree, Mr. RN. Something is fishy about this. 
    ·
    I agree, Mr. RN. Something is fishy about this. 

Why? I'm with chuff.
    ·
  • You spend $1,000 on something, barely get it broken in and then sell it without trying to get at LEAST half of what you spent? That is a red flag to me. Just my opinion.

·
  • So an XLBGE with home made table used about 30 times two years old for 400$ isn't a steal or make you wonder what's up?

That's a well known brand 75%ish off that would make me wonder. Yea I'd run and go buy it but wouldnt be surprised to get a reply email with someone wanting a money order or PayPal cause the grill is packed up from when their dad died and they'll ship it to you when payment is confirmed. I wasn't saying someone built a look a like and is trying to fool us.

The Craigslist post just made me wonder. Didn't mean to write a book or come accross defensive just talking.

XLBGE 
    ·
    Maybe barely broken in, but two years old is not new. Seems like that size goes for around $650 to $700, so he's selling for 50% of purchase or more. I'm not counting the table in my accounting since it doesn't look well cared for at all and I wouldn't give him any extra for it. Sometimes people price things because they need money fast or they just want them gone. 

XL BGE
    ·
    The only thing is that he's BSing the $1000 part. That's a medium Grill Dome and probably $600-700 new plus time/materials for the table. An informed buyer would/should know these things and realize it is not a good deal. A little lie to get more for it....yes. Fraud, as you describe it with PayPal schemes...I dont see it at all.
    ·
    An XL for $400 would absolutely be a steal, but that one says right in the listing that it's 15". That's not an XL or a L.
    XL BGE
    ·
  • RubmyrockRubmyrock Posts: 266
    What makes it look like a fraud? I'm not much of a Craig's lister. I was thinking about buying it for my nephew as a wedding gift who is infactuated with my egg but can't afford it
    ·
    Nothing Rubmyrock....just not that great of a deal.
    ·
  • Proud of you Quinn. I see your point. I wasn't coming at it informed. If I was interested in something id be informed from looking around but just going off his post made it sound like too good to be true if your into the grill.

XLBGE 
    ·
    If by chance he is mistaken about the cooking grid size and it's really 18", not 15"...which would make it a large as he states in the listing title, then I'd be all over it...great deal for used large GD.
    ·
    Proud of you Quinn. I see your point. I wasn't coming at it informed. If I was interested in something id be informed from looking around but just going off his post made it sound like too good to be true if your into the grill.

:)>-
    ·

If by chance he is mistaken about the cooking grid size and it's really 18", not 15"...which would make it a large as he states in the listing title, then I'd be all over it...great deal for used large GD.

Good point! If it is in fact a large, I will offer $300
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    people don't commit craigslis fraud with obscure knockoff ceramic grills.  apartments, cars, sure.  charcoal grill?

:))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,834
    edited August 2012
    Usually, heavy stuff that has to be picked up (unrealistic to ship) with a phone number on craigs list isn't a fraud.   Unless the guy's MO is to hide behind a mulberry bush with a caveman club sporting a giant railroad spike and wack innocent buyers who pull up to his address...

·
    You never know. Maybe he just wants to wear your face for a hat.

I'm still chuckling about some guy hiding in the bushes with a caveman club. Did you ever watch Captain Caveman? Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm picturing. 
    XL BGE
    ·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,003
    His statement in his listing that he has too many grills, may mean he finally bought a BGE, likes it better, and needs to unload the grill dome.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
    Oh noooes!  We found Buffalo Bill!

·
    Called guy. He said that it is in fact an 18 inch large and not medium. He paid $1000 including table and cover that comes with it. So, sounds like a decent deal and he is legit. Talked about the golf course he lives on and a couple grills he got when his dad passed away.
    ·
    Go for it!
    ·
    Here is the cover that goes with it. He texted it to me..

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    ·
    I would definitely go for it.

XL BGE
    ·
    That's the "tunnel of death" that he lures his unsuspecting craigslist deal-mongers into before he strikes the fatal blow!!!!!  AIEEEE!!!

·