Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ribeye Steak

docbigskydocbigsky Posts: 1
edited August 2012 in Beef
Instead of the reverse sear, here is the method I use for ribeyes on the BGE.

Start with a nice thick steak. Ribeyes from Costco seem to be the right thickness and marbling for this method. Seasoned up with Fiesta Uncle Chris' Steak Seasoning.

Lit up the BGE in two places. I remove the chimney entirely and open the damper all the way. We're shooting for 600-700.

Once we get up to temp, put the chimney on and leave the damper wide open. We want high heat without high flame.

Time to put on the steak. Leave the damper open, and close the chimney as much as you need to to stop flare-ups. I CAREFULLY peek down into it to make sure I'm not flaring too much. Exactly two minutes from the meat first hitting the grill, open and quickly rotate 45 degrees.

After another 2 minutes or a little less, flip the steak. You should have nice, even diamonds.

After another, you guessed it, 2 minutes, rotate again 45 degrees. Shut the damper and open the chimney and pull it when it passes the poke test. Oddly enough, about two minutes. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes and should be perfect.

This method has been amazingly consistent. Ribeyes and New Yorks work best, though tenderloin works fairly well too.

Plated up with some roasted taters and a zucchini mushroom bacon hash.

Comments

• pasoeggpasoegg Posts: 264
    can't mess with success now can you...life is simple...eh????  nice pics and description!!!!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Dan4BBQDan4BBQ Posts: 268
    Love it
    Great job
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Bummer....pics aren't showing up for me on iPad...sounds great though.