Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

1/2 fail@Calzone

FlyingTivoFlyingTivo Posts: 352
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

Just had to try the Calzone. My son fired up the Egg with plenty of lump. Reached 600ºF, waited about 20 minutes and made pizza.
The first one took a little longer than usual, but ended up great. The second came out gorgeous and in regular time. Forgot to mention that after a few suggesting to coat the edges with olive oil, i did a small mixture of olive oil and italian seasoning and brushed up the edges and let me tell you that it gives a nice flavour and color to the dough. The last pizza was done very fast and with some burning spots.

Now back to the calzone, it was the last thing we did, streched the dough and filled it up with ground meat and tomato sauce with mozzarella, provolone, fresh mozzarella and pepperoni. I guess that after this long time the stone just got too hot and the calzone is burned on the bottom and the dough on top is cooked but white in colour. So to try to offset this i will put it away for tomorrow and reheat it on the electric oven so it gets a better browning on top.

Here are the pics!

Men, easier fed than understood!!

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,664
    Looks like a work of art, great edges. Now, about the color of the bottom......
    I've never cooked Calzone any hotter than 400F, with the dough wrapped over the top this is not a pizza which being open faced can take a 600F dome. Suggest you try just what you did and use about 400F.....
    Good Luck!

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter.