Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How do you clean your Thermapen?

scaryangelscaryangel Posts: 134
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I recently bought a thermapen. What is the best way to clean it?
·

Comments

• bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,380
    i use these 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • scaryangelscaryangel Posts: 134
    @ big Phil.. Where did u buy them.
    ·
    there's a restaurant supply store near me benjamin foods but look here probably easier 

Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • I just use alcohol swabs. They can be bought at most drugstores or big box stores.

·
  • probe1957probe1957 Posts: 208
    I wipe mine with my shirt.
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,516
    scrape it with a thumbnail just before the cook. water with the older model killed them, seen enough get wet and die that i wouldnt even use water on the newer water resistant model
    ·
  • ShedFarmShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited August 2012
    We get tons of alcohol wipes with my other half's medication injection kits, so the extras get allocated to Thermapen probe duty.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
    ·
  • I wipe it on my pants and throw it in the drawer.  Woo Hoo!  (Actually, I wipe it with a rag using soap and water on the probe)
    XL BGE
    ·
  • LBC DawgLBC Dawg Posts: 111
    If mine gets "cleaned" it's from me licking anything off that may be on it. i don't stick it in raw food, not much reason to clean it.
    ·
    If mine gets "cleaned" it's from me licking anything off that may be on it. i don't stick it in raw food, not much reason to clean it.
    is that consider taste testing the food lol ?
    ·
  • stevesailsstevesails Posts: 955

i lick mine off too!

XL   Walled Lake, MI

·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    Wow, I didn't see one soapy damp clothe. (zosobao5150 excluded) I thought there might be a little more class to some of the responses.  :D
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,706
    edited August 2012

Paper towel, dish soap, water.  Run it under the faucet to get the soap off.  Done.

Packerland, Wisconsin

·
    LOL. You guys are hilarious. I am a nurse practitioner. I have a thing for getting rid of germs. =))
    ·
  • SwfordSwford Posts: 3

Paper towel, dish soap, water.  Run it under the faucet to get the soap off.  Done.

+1 I simply
    ·
  • SwfordSwford Posts: 3

+1 I simply use soap and sponge

·
  • BayaradBayarad Posts: 281
    I get the tap water to where it is about 130 according to thermapen, rinse it thoroughly and wipe dry
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,715
    I droped and submerged mine in 500 degree crisco with no ill effects.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • COeggerCOegger Posts: 56
    RN here and I say - just lick it (I don't have that advanced degree)
    ·
  • LOL. You guys are hilarious. I am a nurse practitioner. I have a thing for getting rid of germs. =))

I'm a RN as well and I run it under the sink then clorax wipe it. I'm a germ freak but getting better at it. After all, it never touches "raw" food.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • chuffchuff Posts: 255
    Mine goes in raw food all the time. I use it to take the temperature of dough, of things I'm chilling, sometimes I take the temp of a steak before I cook it just for my own reference to try and learn something. Hell, one of these days one of my kids is going to have a fever and they'll have a thermapen sticking out of their ear before I've thought it through. I usually just wipe the probe off with a damp paper towel when I'm done.
    XL BGE
    ·
  • BaysidebobBaysidebob Posts: 489
    I let the dogs lick it.  Works great for wounds.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519
    edited August 2012
    I let the dogs lick it.  Works great for wounds.
    Best one so far. :)

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
    You guys have given me a lot of great tips! I think i will let my dogs clean it for me.. :))
    ·