Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

vinegar

mr toadmr toad Posts: 666
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
making a sauce for ribs - is there a difference between "white vinegar" & "apple cider vinegar" - maybe taste or strength

thanks

mr toad
In dog Beers - I have had only one !
·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    Both are normaly 5% acidity. There is a taste difference.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    +1, for me I love Apple cider in sauce, White in mayo based potato & Mac salad.

Otherwise I usually only use white to feed my coffee maker. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,812
    Apple cider vinegar tastes a little apple-y and has a little sugar in it, white vinegar is like a fine vodka - it's distilled and has virtually no impurities (or taste).  I use cider.

·
  • BaysidebobBaysidebob Posts: 489
    Apple cider vinegar tastes a little apple-y and has a little sugar in it, white vinegar is like a fine vodka - it's distilled and has virtually no impurities (or taste).  I use cider.
    +1 to that.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • ratcheerratcheer Posts: 189
    Note that not all brands of cider vinegar are actually cider vinegar. Look at the label. Some expensive brands are not, but I won't name names. I usually use either the White House or Publix brands, which are actually made from apples.

Tim
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,283
    ive only used the cider for bbq sauce. was thinking the other day about ketchup, is heinz big in the south or is it another brand down there, different ketchups would play into flavor as well
    ·
  • ratcheerratcheer Posts: 189
    Heinz is the biggest here in the Deep South, too. I grew up not liking Hunt's, but now to my adult tastes, it is the best of the big brands.

Tim
    ·
  • hopkinsusmc87hopkinsusmc87 Posts: 246
    edited August 2012

toad - cider vinegar is the way to go! Ive made some real good sauce with it and its got that nice kick to it.  Here you go:

Ingredients<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

·         1 cup cider vinegar

·         1 tablespoon salt

·         1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

·         1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

·         1 tablespoon brown sugar

Directions

1.     In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and brown sugar. Mix well and allow ingredients to mesh for about 4 to 8 hours before using.  You can add or take away depending on what you’re looking for.  Add some ketchup or even regular black pepper, be creative.   

·