Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First try at pastrami

setdahooksetdahook Posts: 155
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
It turned out to my liking however I am surprised at the lack of saltiness. Next time after the rinse ad soak I am going to add sea salt to the rub also.
·

Comments

• BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    Did you brine this yourself? If not what brand did you get?  Looks like you nailed it!
    ·
  • setdahooksetdahook Posts: 155
    Thanks Brownie. I brined it myself I followed this for the brine

Then for the rub I used the following no measurements just went by what smelled rightbut it was pretty heavy on the black pepper. If I guessed probably 3 Tbls and the 1Tbls.
    ground black pepper 
    onion powder
    garlic powder 
    ground coriander
    mustard powder
    Adobo seasoning 
    thyme 

then each hour I sprayed with apple juice and DR pepper mix
    ·
    Thanks for the info. The last time I made pastrami it was suggested I brine it myself. I will bookmark to try this in the future. Thanks for sharing.
    ·
    edited August 2012
    Did you rest (brine) it the full five days? Did you use a whole brisket or try one of the other cuts they suggested? It sounds good so I'm planning on preparing one for a party on saturday after fully reading the recipe. Thanks again.
    ·
  • setdahooksetdahook Posts: 155
    Yes it went for the full five days and was a whole brisket after slicing I took the point and diced so I will use that for hash just need a night when I make some potatoes. One other thing double I have a great injector and was able to get most of the liquid into the meat so I did not have a lot of the brine left to soak next time I will double the brine (its cheap to make anyway) and have a better soak.

·
    Awesome, I can't wait to try it!  :)
    ·
  • LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
    edited August 2012
    Wow, does the brine give it that color?
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,951
    The curing powder, namely, the sodium nitrite gives it the red color.

·