Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket stall - how long will it last?

Options
waynedog
waynedog Posts: 14
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Cooking my first brisket - 9 lb packer (7 lb after trimming fat).  Put it on last night at 10 pm at 220.  Got up at 6 am and meat temp was 160.  Has not moved in the 4 hours I have been up.  Total cook time is now 12 hours.  When should I expect it to break out of the stall and move up to 190 or so?

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i did a 15 pounder last weekend at a grid temp of 265 it took about 15 hours roughly a hour per pound Cen-Tex called it right on the money . may wanna try bumping it up a bit if your dome temp is 220 grid temp is most likely lower heat rises   :)
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • waynedog
    waynedog Posts: 14
    Options

We don't plant to eat until 6 pm tonight so I have plenty of time.  If it can get to 190 by 2 pm (4 hours from now), I can pull it, wrap it, and let it rest for a few hours.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Should be coming out soon. Trimming 20% of the weight seems pretty high to me (but they are all a little different).

190 is a good place to check for doneness but it might not quite be there yet. Just make sure the thick part of the flat is very tested throughout before removing. Usually anywhere between 185-200. Mine have been around 195 lately but they are all different.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Its done when a thermometer goes in and out with little to no resistance right?

yes, in the thickest part of the flat (that is critical)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Did it turn out for you?