Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork shoulder - fat up, down, or cut off?

Mole351Mole351 Posts: 110
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Is there a "best way" to do this? Have heard all 3...i like down as is nice and easy...
·

Comments

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,496
    I prefer to cut it off and score the outside all the way around. I go for maximum bark surface area.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,408
    I usually do fat up, however last one I did I took it off to get more bark and flavor on the actual meat. Turned out great.  
  • newegg13newegg13 Posts: 231
    Didn't trim and put it fat down tonight...

Thats what I'm about to do.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
    ·
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 557
    x2.... going on shortly
    ·
  • I don't trim, fat down and when I take it off all the fat that is remaining is mixed in when I shread the meat....super moist...you can eat without sauce
    ·
  • bronwynbronwyn Posts: 1
    Fat up...gives more flavor and keeps it moist! Don't forget to wrap in foil for about before you shred.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,768
    I've done fat up, fat down and have never been able to tell the difference cook-wise.  I prefer fat down so if anything sticks it's the fat and not the bark/meat.  FWIW-
    Louisville
    ·
  • hopkinsusmc87hopkinsusmc87 Posts: 246
    edited August 2012
    I cut the skin and fat off and it came out great.
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,380
    I've done fat up, fat down and have never been able to tell the difference cook-wise.  I prefer fat down so if anything sticks it's the fat and not the bark/meat.  FWIW-
    +1 I agree with lousucap dont want that meat sticking 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·