Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pulled pork on the Egg, and first time using Wicked Good lump

Options
FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm in the latter part of my first pulled pork cook (first on the Egg). I bought a half pork shoulder, small but bone in. Injected, coated in mustard and then Bad Byrons Butt Rub. It's been on for 8.5 hours or so and is at 180 internal using a grate temp from 250-275.  This Wicked Good Weekend Warrior charcoal seems fantastic so far. Nice sized pieces, very little chips/dust in the bag, and it lit really quickly with the electric starter.  I have two bags, and if the rest of the cooks with it are this nice, I'll probably start using it on all cooks.  It's the 5th or 6th brand I've used (just due to availability) and so far it's my favorite.

So far it's the smoothest long cook I've had, it stalled for 2-3 hours, but nothing I didn't expect.  Will try to post up some pics when I pull it from the grill.  

Do any of you do anything special to season it after pulling?  I was thinking just mix in some BBQ sauce, but wonder if people used apple juice, ACV, or anything?

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I wouldn't call what I do anything "special" but I mix in a little rub & some BBQ sauce.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    WG is great lump i use it my lo and slow recently tried RO on a brisket that worked really well also, As for the pork i used to pull it and mix sauce in but found i like to just pull and add sauce as you make a sandwich that way you have a choice of sauces BBQ or vinegar based ,keeping it warm for a party i use a little apple juice in the bottom a crock pot on low works out really well 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    Great thanks for the info, I think I may sauce half of it and then leave half plain to try other sauces.  Also glad you mentioned rub, I will taste and see if it needs a little more once it's pulled.