Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Ham

Options
Bozzy
Bozzy Posts: 27
edited August 2012 in Pork
I have a fresh (uncured) ham on the bone. It's close to 14 lbs. I'm planning on treating it like an oversized Butt and cooking it at 225 until internal temp 185-190. Sound about right? Any other suggestions?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    Options
    you can do that, or serve it as a roast leg (slice around 150-160).

never done it myself, but i do not that others have treated it like a butt, pulled pork.  very similar, likely a little difference in flavor.

if you do it as a roast (slice it, i mean) it will be a mix of white/grey and dark meat. not like a pink cured ham (which i'm assuming from your description you understand anyway).
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bozzy
    Options
    I had a hog processed and asked for the hams halved and not cured or smoked. I picked them up from the butcher a few weeks ago and thawed one of the half hams in the fridge starting Wednesday. Since I had it processed, I know it's history and like that it isn't swimming in "enhanced" brine. It was just wrapped in freezer paper and frozen. I trimmed most of the fat cap off and it weighed in at 13 lbs. I put it on the grill around noon and plan on pulling it in the early morning hours if it's ready ... if not closer to noon or even afternoon will be fine as it's for a BBQ dinner tomorrow night. Currently sitting at 225 (DigiQ II) and smelling up my deck.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I did one early in to Egging, and it just turned out like a pork roast.  If you want it to be ham I would suggest you find a charcuterie recipe and brine it.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Bozzy
    Options
    It was 195 at 9:30 this morning so I pulled it off the egg, double wrapped in foil and towels, and placed it in a picnic cooler. Judging from how it came off the grill and the bone was loose in the meat, I think it will be more like pulled pork than a roast. I'll pull it this afternoon and post pictures.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    Options
    what determines whether it will slice like a roast or pulled pork is not the cut, but the temp you take it to.

you will have pulled pork at 195

a pork loin or pork tenderloin will also fall apart at 195. it just doesn't have much fat and collagen to re-moisten the meat.

likewise, a pork butt or ham will slice like a roast if you take it to the temps you normally cook a tenderloin or loin to, say 145
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante