Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging on a sailboat?

BedfordJim13
BedfordJim13 Posts: 0
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anybody ever managed to use a BGE, even a mini, on a sailboat successfully, and how was it attached. Just bought a 33ft sailboat. Don't really want to cook with propane

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Used to be in the marine business and I've seen a lot of charcoal grills on fiberglass boats and, I've also seen a few boat fires resulting from charcoal grills. Fiberglass burns HOT and FAST. I saw a bot in an anchorage one night burn to the waterline in less than 20 minutes from a charcoal grill.

I would say the best thing you could do is check with your insurance company and see what they say. Good luck.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    The first egg I ever saw was permanently fiberglasswd into the cockpit of a 46 ft motor vessel. The tuna went from swimming to grilling in about 2 min.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Never have experienced a BGE on a sailboat-but should you pursue then mount it on gimbals so it has a chance of staying relatively horizontal.  Boat fires do put themselves out once they hit the waterline :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.