Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday time for Butt...

double
double Posts: 1,214
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos and so the day begins 18.4 lbs planning to put them on around 11pm PST
Lynnwood WA

Comments

• I'm in too. I have crew painting my house in the 106 degree heat this week. It has to be 125 on my roof. I'm doing a bbq for them tomorrow to say thanks. Nothing more refreshing than a steaming hot pulled pork sammie on a 105 degree day!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • double
    Ha we are all excited a it might hit 80 today in Seattle!
    Lynnwood WA
  • Ha we are all excited a it might hit 80 today in Seattle!
    Wow. We were at 80 at 6:30 am

• It's surprising how little lump you use when you only need to raise the egg temp 150 degrees over outside temp!

• hopkinsusmc87
    hopkinsusmc87 Posts: 250
    edited August 2012

I'm in too. I have crew painting my house in the 106 degree heat this week. It has to be 125 on my roof. I'm doing a bbq for them tomorrow to say thanks. Nothing more refreshing than a steaming hot pulled pork sammie on a 105 degree day!

Cen-Tex your a good man. I'm sure the smell of the cooking will drive them to work harder. I'm doing a butt tomorrow and some beef ribs tonight.
  • I'm in too. I have crew painting my house in the 106 degree heat this week. It has to be 125 on my roof. I'm doing a bbq for them tomorrow to say thanks. Nothing more refreshing than a steaming hot pulled pork sammie on a 105 degree day!

Cen-Tex your a good man. I'm sure the smell of the cooking will drive them to work harder. I'm doing a butt tomorrow and some beef ribs tonight.
    Let's not get carried away. I just got a shipment from Dizzy Pig and was looking for something to do :) I'm sure they will appreciate it though. These guys are animals. 10 hours a day, 5 straight days so far non stop in the 100+ degree heat. 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    They could scrape and paint my house in a day. :))
    Or is that :(
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • double
    I'm picturing Centex living in a compound...
    Lynnwood WA
  • I'm picturing Centex living in a compound...

Hardly.. unfortunately the a-hole that painted the house last time did not use any primer to save money. When these guys went in to start scraping, it ALL came off. it just kept peeling and peeling and we determined that none of it was fit to paint over so they had to scrape it all down to the wood. Then they had to pricer the whole thing like it was a brand new paint job. Cost Centex mucho dinero. Good times. This was supposed to be a 4 day job- 2 days of prep, 2 days of paint. We are on day 5 and still scraping....
  • double
    Ouch
    Lynnwood WA
  • double
    My wicked good dealer only had 3 bags left today I jokingly said will you give me a deal if I buy all 3 22lb bags he said sure $16 a bag... I was happy. Getting loaded up and ready to start my butts now.
    Lynnwood WA
  • double
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I think I could sit here all night
    Lynnwood WA
  • Been going since 8.30 last night - 12lb butt - my maverick alarm woke me at 1am when temp dropped below 200F. opened the vent a fraction and turned the alarm off - wasn't going out, just a bit cool. Woke this morning to heavy rain  :( with the grate at 195 and butt at 147.

Stuck up the brolly and opened her up a little and now we're at 234 grate and 149 butt. Guests arriving this afternoon and all is well - FTC ready and the sun is shining :)
  • double
    Balliardi were are you referring to it as a brolly?
    Lynnwood WA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Nice set up! Seems like tonight is the night for butt cooks. I just put an 8 pounder on at midnight (Pacific).
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • double
    Fire pit burnt out grill temp at around 230 sailor Jerry's almost done 12.36 pacific, time for some shut eye. May the egg be with you brothers...
    Lynnwood WA
  • Double - brolly = Umbrella in the UK!
  • Should have read: Stuck up an umbrella, opened up the egg a little...
  • double
    Ye I know that that's why I asked! Spent 7 years in London born in Glasgow live in Seattle now.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I think I could sit here all night
    That is down right outstanding. I love it.
  • hopkinsusmc87
    hopkinsusmc87 Posts: 250
    edited August 2012

I'm in too. I have crew painting my house in the 106 degree heat this week. It has to be 125 on my roof. I'm doing a bbq for them tomorrow to say thanks. Nothing more refreshing than a steaming hot pulled pork sammie on a 105 degree day!

How did they like it Cen-Tex.

• I'm in too. I have crew painting my house in the 106 degree heat this week. It has to be 125 on my roof. I'm doing a bbq for them tomorrow to say thanks. Nothing more refreshing than a steaming hot pulled pork sammie on a 105 degree day! How did they like it Cen-Tex.

still 4 hrs to go. looks good though.
  • double
    Mines already at 187 how long can I FTC for? Was only planning on serving for dinner around 4 to 5pm and its 9am should I dial temp down a bit?
    Lynnwood WA
  • Mines already at 187 how long can I FTC for? Was only planning on serving for dinner around 4 to 5pm and its 9am should I dial temp down a bit?
    Dial the egg temp back to 225 dome and let the internal creep up. it could take 2-3 hours or so at that temp. 225 is around 200 grate temp so you are really creeping along at that point. You can FTC for many hours. The more towels, the longer it will hold. I've gone over 8 hrs before but that's not recommended. 
  • Yup dial it down to 225 if you can hold it. Butt ate very forgiving, I held one over 6 hours, FTC'd and it was fine. Pack the cooler with lots of towels and warm cooler first if you can.
  • double
    Thanks! I dialed it down I checked it on another thermo than my maverick and that one said it was at 197 I don't trust that one though due to numerous undercooked turkey... Man that smell lifting up the dome I just wanted a bite there and then!
    Lynnwood WA
  • Will be watching!
  • Thanks! I dialed it down I checked it on another thermo than my maverick and that one said it was at 197 I don't trust that one though due to numerous undercooked turkey... Man that smell lifting up the dome I just wanted a bite there and then!
    It can be several temps throughout the butt. Especially closer to the bone (if it's bone in). Just go by the maverick and try to slow-boat it until FTC

• double
    Yep bone in checked close to and away from should I shoot for 195 or 205? Now were did my wife leave those fluffy white towels...
    Lynnwood WA