Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Potato Cooker

timekpr1timekpr1 Posts: 151
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone use on of these?

Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
·

Comments

• dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,003
    I have not.  I just poke them with a fork, cover with olive oil, sprinkle on kosher salt and cook at 375 degrees until they reach 215 internal.  Does the pictured device do something special?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
  • timekpr1timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited August 2012
    Supposedly it cooks faster by having a heating element inside the potato.  How long does it take for your potatoes to reach 215?  Direct or indirect cooking?
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
    ·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,003
    It takes 45 minutes to an hour and I do them indirect.  I can cut the time down to about 40 minutes if I raise the temp at the grid to 400 degrees.  The only reason I do them at 375 is because I usually do one baking potato and one sweet potato and they tend to get done closer to the same time at 375 but I'm not sure why.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
  • gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 818
    We do it similar to dlk7 but use a bit of bbq on the potatoes. 

Gerhard
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,198
    Years ago I used a couple of clean gutter nails (thick, long and aluminum) stabbed lengthwise through my spuds, but I haven't seen them in years, must've been lost during the last move.

Gotta make a Home Depot run!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • twlangantwlangan Posts: 293
    Years ago I used a couple of clean gutter nails (thick, long and aluminum) stabbed lengthwise through my spuds, but I haven't seen them in years, must've been lost during the last move.

Gotta make a Home Depot run!  
    Did they make any difference in cooking?
    ·