Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

butt, wait. this is my first time

anezanez Posts: 131
edited August 2012 in Pork
Just put my first butt on the egg, 5.5 pounds (got the egg saturday). Rubbed with mustard and dizzy pig original last night. egg stabilized at 285. indirect heat. nothing to do now but to sit back and wait. loving this big green thing. 

Comments

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,423
    Sounds like you are off to a good start. Don't forget the pictures or none of it really happened. ;)

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• anezanez Posts: 131
    haha, yup, will do. my wife laughed at me when i took a pic of it before putting it on the egg. she just doesn't get it ... yet. 
    i tossed in 5 chunks of apple wood. too much? too little? add more as cook goes?
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 9,713
    i tossed in 5 chunks of apple wood. too much? too little? add more as cook goes?

I wouldn't add any more and if too much then too late...just make a few notes so you can make some adjustments next time.  Welcome to the cult-go easy on the Kool-Aid.  Lots of people willing to help-just ask away.  And remember to enjoy the journey.
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs 
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    ABC- 
    thanks, lou
  • Awesome, way to jump in! Can't wait to hear the results!
  • BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 664
    My wife and kids laughed at me first time I took pictures. Now they still shake their head once in a while.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
    Welcome and good luck with the butt. It sounds like you are on the right track. Butts usually come out great on the egg. Enjoy.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,423

Hard to tell not knowing the size of the chunks. Apple is a very light wood, though. Not nearly as heavy as hickory, mesquite or pecan. You should be fine. I probably wouldn't if I were you.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

thanks all. cook going well. using a maverick et-7 for the first time, too. this thing is pretty sweet. 

When does the stall usually happen and for how long? 

• Welcome aboard and way to step up with your first cook. At 285 you shouldn't have too big of a problem with the stall. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
    5 1/2 hours in, at 165 degrees

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,489
    Looking good. Be prepared for the stall and don't worry if the temp actually drops a bit.
    thanks, and thanks for the tip
    dome temp was a steady 280 just checked and it's 210 and not moving. should i be concerned?

You may want to bump it back up or you'll be eating pork for a midnight snack. Just make small adjustments so you don't overshoot. Where is the meat temp?
    yup, thanks just got heat back up to 280 dome. meat temp has stalled out at 168
    edited August 2012
    Don't be surprised if it stalls/crawls through the high 180's/low190's.  That's a lot more random of an event but does happen and that temperature climb can take 2-4 hours.  You can crank up the temp to punch it home-based on your initial weight and cook temps-I'm guessing you won't see the finish-line til around 9:30-11 PM tonight but hopefully I'm wrong.  Every cook a learning experience.
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs 
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    ABC- 
    thanks it just moved up to 170. maybe out of the (first?) stall?
    you thinking 9:30-11pm east coast? that would be perfect for me here in los angeles
    Yup- EDT-based on the high-noon time tag of your first post.  Sounds like all is going well.  Enjoy the final result.
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs 
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    ABC- 
    thanks lou, appreciate the advice.
    If you stall again and start running up against the clock, you can also use the Texas Crutch - wrap in heavy duty foil with a little apple juice and put it back for an hour or two. Keeps everything moist and tender and speeds things up. It will soften the bark.

The foil will get you through much better than raising the temp.  At about 5 degrees below your desired final temp open the foil and if the bark is not to your liking then finish the last part out of the foil again.  I have done this and it will tighten up the bark again.

George

George
    sweet, thanks. on a side note this maverick et-7 is pretty disappointing. i'm probaby 20 feet from my egg and it keeps losing the signal
  • gte1gte1 Posts: 376

Can you take it back and get the 732.  I have that one and have gone everywhere in the house with it without any loss of signal.  My wife and kid love it when I head for the shower and take it into the bathroom so I can see it from the shower.  They like to call it my baby monitor for meat. 

George

George
    i got it from amazon so not sure how returns work. i'll look into the 732. thanks
    what temp would you guys pull it at? 190-195?
    edited August 2012
    I pull around 195*F-200*F and if you don't have a time requirement to hold for then no requirement to foil, towels and cooler (FTC) as it is ready to pull and consume.
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs 
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    ABC- 
    great, thanks. no time requirement. can't wait to eat!