Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cheeseburgers: Thermometer Issue or No Big Deal?

the_alchemist83the_alchemist83 Posts: 84
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
So this weekend I replaced the stock gasket with the nomex gasket.  When I did the egg dome, I just set it on the ground & didn't put it "inside the base" so to speak (this was on Saturday) so I never removed the thermometer.  Today, I used the egg for the first time since, when I was getting to higher temps (350 & above) the needle on the thermometer didn't move as smoothly, but seemed to "tick" like the second hand on a watch & would do this going up or down.  At low temps it didn't seem to do and even when it did happen it wasn't consistently.  Does this mean my thermometer is shot, needs a calibration (I think the temp was just fine, 1/2 burgers were perfect medium after 7 min on each side). I've included a video (right around the 12 sec mark is when it happens, sorry I accidentally took it upside down but you can still see it).  Thanks for any suggestions.  We have family coming over tomorrow for lunch so I just want to make sure I'm good to go.

Cheeseburgers
Mine:  Basic Cheeseburger

My wives:  blue cheese w/ caramelized onions

First time we did burgers & easily the best burgers we have made at home.  Did them at 500 F, indirect, w/ PS legs up & 80/20 ground beef.

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,360
    Sounds like it's binding - a mechanical binding that's common.  That can make it inaccurate.  Should be under warranty.  That's why you hear about people "tapping" on them.

• Sounds like it's binding - a mechanical binding that's common.  That can make it inaccurate.  Should be under warranty.  That's why you hear about people "tapping" on them.
    So it's done for (and I should contact the mothership for a new one)? or I should "tap" on it to try and get it to stop?  Thanks for the help.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,360
    See if it'll calibrate - put it in some boiling water.  If you have to tap it every time to get a good temp, you can live with that.  If you can't get a reproducible reading, I'd definitely get it replaced.