So it was a baby backs afternoon. Fortunately they are forgiving. The wife likes hers with fresh rosemary, chopped garlic, lemon and on and on. I have a sweeter tooth. Big Time rub and sauce. Problem: Her’s have no sugar and need a Maillard to look acceptable. Sugar burns below that and there’s lots of sugar in the rub. I don’t want black baby backs. So it’s two hours at 250 on the adjustable rig. A check or two with the Thermopen revealed they were not heating the same. I know, I know you aren’t supposed to be able to tell the temp of ribs with a thermometer. Not true. Stick them in a few places with the Thermopen and one gets a pretty good idea of how it’s going. So I switched them between upper and lower a few times. Two hours at 250 and I started letting it rise, seeking the Maillard reaction for the wife’s ribs. Let the rub burn. The last few minutes I added my sauce over the rub. It worked out OK. Better than OK. Total cook time was three hours three minutes as measured by the bottle caps. I wouldn't try it with spare ribs but baby backs are gracious.
My actuary says I'm dead.