Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my way/her way baby backs

Options
Baysidebob
Baysidebob Posts: 489
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
So it was a baby backs afternoon. Fortunately they are forgiving. The wife likes hers with fresh rosemary, chopped garlic, lemon and on and on. I have a sweeter tooth. Big Time rub and sauce. Problem: Her’s have no sugar and need a Maillard to look acceptable. Sugar burns below that and there’s lots of sugar in the rub. I don’t want black baby backs. So it’s two hours at 250 on the adjustable rig. A check or two with the Thermopen revealed they were not heating the same. I know, I know you aren’t supposed to be able to tell the temp of ribs with a thermometer. Not true. Stick them in a few places with the Thermopen and one gets a pretty good idea of how it’s going. So I switched them between upper and lower a few times. Two hours at 250 and I started letting it rise, seeking the Maillard reaction for the wife’s ribs. Let the rub burn. The last few minutes I added my sauce over the rub. It worked out OK. Better than OK. Total cook time was three hours three minutes as measured by the bottle caps.  I wouldn't try it with spare ribs but baby backs are gracious.
My actuary says I'm dead.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Hmm...not much bone pull back. How tender were they?

I'd reach for yours btw! ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Baysidebob
    Options

Good pull back on the ends, less so in the middle but all done and tender. They bent fine and I totally trust the Thermopen for final check on ANYTHING including potatos.  I don't foil.  Her's are more "Mediteranian" resulting from an overdose of cable cooking shows.  She's happy, I'm happy.

• cazzy
    Options
    Awesome! Always good to keep the woman happy.

What was the final temp reading?
  • Baysidebob
    Options
    Awesome! Always good to keep the woman happy. What was the final temp reading?
    180 plus on the ends.  170 plus in the middle.  They were all moist.  With many things anything below boiling is good.  For some goofy reason the BGE keeps things moist.  My very happy neighbors often comment on that.
  • cazzy
    Options
    I don't use my thermapen for ribs, but I'd imagine they're in the 190s. That ensures ensures all the connective tissue and collagen has broken down.

My last ribs glazed w/ bone suckn' sauce

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Baysidebob
    Options
    cazzy, those look PERFECT!  How long were they on?
  • cazzy
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Thanks!! About 4.5-5 hours. 250 grid