Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

A different take on pizza crust..

SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 5,715
edited July 2012 in Baking
Making "pan style" pizza crust is often similar to those you can buy, well at least in my experience it is. Almost all have 1 or 2 teaspoons of yeast, making a bread style dough. 
Recently I saw an episode of America's test kitchen where they made a thin crust pizza using only 1/2 teaspoon of yeast in a cold dough then cooked in an oven on a stone at 500F. Sounds like what I do in my medium egg. I use the platesetter legs down with a 13" stone I picked up at Kitchen Collections for $10, sitting directly on the plate setter. I take the whole setup up to a stabilized 500F for about 15 minutes before I put on a pie. We use parchment paper and those cookie sheets where one side has no lip as a peel, very easy. We then cook three or four in a row. 
This dough recipe uses a food processor and very little yeast, the crust comes out chewy and crisp, (having never been to New York, I'm not sure if it is in fact New York style thin crust pizza. All I know is that it is the easiest dough to work with I have ever seen. Came out very good. 

IMGP2366.jpg
4288 x 2848 - 988K
Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 

Comments