Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Some more rubs

AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
On my way back home, I stopped in my home town to spend some time with family. I went to a BBQ store that I used to frequent and picked up some new rubs. Also picked some alder and black cherry chips.

Rubs.JPG 137.7K
·

Comments

• Just did steaks for my crew and I used Cow Lick.  It was great and the guys loved it.
    ·
  • all good. I have all of those in my pantry as we speak. 

·
  • redsrageredsrage Posts: 14
    I like making my own rub. Anyone have any rub recipes?
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120

Here's one that is outstanding on steaks and pork.

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder
    1 tsp. granulated garlic
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice
    4 tsp. kosher salt
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    4 boneless rib eye steaks 1 1/2" thick
    Directions
    rub 1 1/2 Tbs. of mixture all over each steak. Grill to desired doneness

Dizzy Pig also has one called Red Eye Express and it is quite good.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • krobertsmsnkrobertsmsn Posts: 547
    I'm a big fan of John Henry's...love the Tammy's Herbal and Sugar Maple.I usually do 1/2 and 1/2 together. Can't beat it on chicken IMHO.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
    ·
  • jeffcaputojeffcaputo Posts: 15
    Here is a rub I made by combining the best from a few recipes. It is great on ribs if you like them a bit sweet with a good amount of heat. 1/4C dark brown sugar 2Tbs Turbinado sugar 1/4C Kosher salt 1Tbs Paprika 1Tbs Smoked Paprika 1/2tsp black pepper 1/2tsp cayenne pepper 1/2tsp chipotle powder 1/2tsp ancho chili powder 1/2tsp onion flake 1/2tsp garlic powder If you try it let me know what you think
    ·
  • jeffcaputojeffcaputo Posts: 15
    Sorry the formatting didn't come out recipe-esque
    ·
  • Stumbled on a good combination.  I mix equal parts "Emeril's Essence" and Brown sugar.  Makes a good rub for just about everything.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
    ·
  • brewbqbrewbq Posts: 52
    I hear a LOT about dizzy pig rubs.  Are they really that awesome?  

I like to make my own too, and one of my fav's so far is meathead's memphis dust on http://www.amazingribs.com/.  It goes well on all pork and is currently what I keep on hand in the fridge.
    ·