Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat, Taters, and Maters...

Supercilious_In_5280
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hump day cook went quite well.  Hot weather has made our herbs and tomatos growing wild.  Picked the maters and herbs from the garden.  Taters came from the cherry creek farmers market saturday.  T-rexed the strips on the egg.  Did the taters in the dutch oven stovetop w/ parsley, sage, rose....you get it.  and added some garlic w/ evoo and a bit of butter.  Quite nice.  The maters had the mozzarella, basil, evoo and a touch of balsamic.  Highly recommended for a Wednesday eve.

the prep.

taters in the dutch w/ all the goodies.image

all plated up. 

now what's for din tonight??????

Comments

• imageimage

for some reason the other two pics weren't showing?

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I love barbequed meat, but there is nothing, NOTHING, that beats that first summer mater!!!

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I love barbequed meat, but there is nothing, NOTHING, that beats that first summer mater!!!
    I've heard that all my life and I still hate tomatoes.
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222

Blasphemy!!  :)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I can't say I've ever been big on fresh tomatoes. Sauce and ketchup is a different matter. But a beefsteak tomato, straight from the vine, sliced, and sprinkled w. salt is definitely edible.

And there are big differences between tomatoes. For me, a lot of the store tomatoes are flavorless bags of water. A couple of weeks ago I went to the best pizzaria I know, and the pizzaiolo was offering a special that used heritage tomatoes. He really knows his stuff, so I bought one. The tomato slices were sweet, tangy, and loaded w. umami.

Keep tasting. You may find something you like.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I know a number of people that hate fresh tomatoes.  Personally, I love eating raw tomatoes with balsamic, olive oil and fresh basil.  Hell, I'll just sprinkle some Tony Chachare's on and eat off the cutting board.  I agree with gdenby that a lot of grocery store tomatoes are horrible - mealy and tasteless. 

IMHO it's tough to go wrong with roma (plumb) tomatoes.  They have a low water content and good flavor.  We get excellent creole tomatoes down here that are grown locally, but they're seasonal.  Heritage tomatoes are usually always excellent - they say the uglier the tomato the better it tastes.  I hate spending $4-5/lb on those, so I usually just stick with roma.

imageimage

for some reason the other two pics weren't showing?

Yup. Not seeing anything.
  • I know a number of people that hate fresh tomatoes.  Personally, I love eating raw tomatoes with balsamic, olive oil and fresh basil.  Hell, I'll just sprinkle some Tony Chachare's on and eat off the cutting board.  I agree with gdenby that a lot of grocery store tomatoes are horrible - mealy and tasteless. 

IMHO it's tough to go wrong with roma (plumb) tomatoes.  They have a low water content and good flavor.  We get excellent creole tomatoes down here that are grown locally, but they're seasonal.  Heritage tomatoes are usually always excellent - they say the uglier the tomato the better it tastes.  I hate spending $4-5/lb on those, so I usually just stick with roma.
    I agree, I use romas for sandwiches, burgers and salads. Way better!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Tomatoes from the vine / fresh white bread / mayo and s&p = the best sandwhich for me
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.