Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Doing burgers for first time on the XL egg....Any suggestions?

Iceman5705Iceman5705 Posts: 83
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

All,

Doing burgers for first time on the XL egg....Any suggestions?

Ice

·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,810
    My $0.2 is, how you make the patty is more important than the cooking.

1. Season the burger meat, mixing the seasoning into the meat.  Don't overwork it.
    2. Make the patty very gingerly so you have air in the burger meat.  Don't pack it into a dense hockey puck.

Those two steps make a great burger over what people intuitively do, which is make a hocky puck and season the outside of it.

Cook any way you like.  I like my burgers medium rare.  If you want to follow FDA guidelines for food safety, cook them at least to whatever the "safe" temp is - 145 F or something.

·
  • If you can raise the grid, I recommend it. Raised direct seems to be the best way to do them

·
  • Iceman5705Iceman5705 Posts: 83
    Thanks, I have it set up on high sear but my gut told me to put it direct but raised.  I appreciate the feedback.  I am learning something on every cook and love it more each time.
    ·
  • chuffchuff Posts: 255
    large
    XL BGE
    ·
  • moose28moose28 Posts: 61
    If you haven't yet, try stuffing the burger with different cheeses. Jalapeños Ect. Been doing for a while now and family and friends love it.
    ·
  • Thanks, I have it set up on high sear but my gut told me to put it direct but raised.  I appreciate the feedback.  I am learning something on every cook and love it more each time.
    rubmyrock did a burger cook last week where he did some at normal level and some raised. All the raised came out perfect. the ones cooked lower charred pretty bad by the time they were ready. He had pics and all if you want to see what he did.

·
  • RubmyrockRubmyrock Posts: 266
    Yes and for God's sake, don't shut the damn vents....
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,168
    edited July 2012
    My two cents is to have the butcher cut a few lbs off a brisket and grind into hamburger. At homeTo that add chopped red onions and some seasoning. Just so we are all on the same page, grill with the top closed. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Yes and for God's sake, don't shut the @#!*% vents....
    ha- forgot about that part

·