Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Ribs?

Options
easttexasaggie04
easttexasaggie04 Posts: 108
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
A while back I saw a thread about "turbo ribs" but now I can't seem to find it.  They were cooked at a higher temp, but with a shorter time.  Anybody remember how to do these?  Are these turbo ribs as good as the low and slow?

I'd like to cook multiple racks with my rib rack thing.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And now coming to the plate.......Mickey He's the turbo king around here
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • easttexasaggie04
    Options
    Cen-Tex...whats your "go to" rib strategy?  I hope to try ribs on the BGE for the first time this weekend.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I just do them with dizzy dust, indirect, bone side down around 275 dome temp. I brush them with bone sucking sauce about 15-20 min before removing them. I normally do st. lou style spares that i trim down myself. They take 4-5 hrs roughly. No foil, no flipping, no spray, no nothing. Just let em cook and sauce them at the end.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That settles it.  I'm thawing out some ribs for tomorrow night.
    Options

I just do them with dizzy dust, indirect, bone side down around 275 dome temp. I brush them with bone sucking sauce about 15-20 min before removing them. I normally do st. lou style spares that i trim down myself. They take 4-5 hrs roughly. No foil, no flipping, no spray, no nothing. Just let em cook and sauce them at the end.

That's fail proof. If you add anymore steps, it's just for fun. Do em like that and you will succeed.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • easttexasaggie04
    Options
    Sounds good to me.  I love ribs...and I love to eat.

How do you know when its time to pull them?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sounds good to me.  I love ribs...and I love to eat.

How do you know when its time to pull them?

after about 4 hours, pick them up length wise with a set of tongs. If they bend in half, they are ready. check every half hour after until they bend. If they fall aprt, they are overdone but will still be delicious. I also use a toothpick (thanks Cap) stuck in the meat betweent he bones to see if it slides in and out like butter. They are done once that happens as well. Internal thermos are not reliable on ribs (the bones are hotter than the meat and give false readings). You are going to have to use the force on this one but it's easy
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Pick them up with tongs by one end. When they crack like sunburnt skin, they are ready. Also, when the meat pulls back and exposes some bone is a good indication.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Pick them up with tongs by one end. When they crack like sunburnt skin, they are ready. Also, when the meat pulls back and exposes some bone is a good indication.

Mmmmmmm. Burnt skin. Delicious!
  • easttexasaggie04
    Options
    Do you need a drip pan on the plate setter for ribs like you do a brisket or pork butt?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Do you need a drip pan on the plate setter for ribs like you do a brisket or pork butt?

I don't use one for ribs
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I would use it but why use the plate setter at all? I do raised direct with great success.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I would use it but why use the plate setter at all? I do raised direct with great success.

Interesting. I use one but as we all know, lots of ways to skin a cat around here. Man, more skin. This is getting morbid. Damn I'm hungry
  • travisstrick
    Options
    :ar! Meow!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

Here's my turbo on babybacks. These are cooked a little faster than Mickey's, but you can play with the time to see what is optimal for you.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1136306/babyback-experiment-results#latest

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

I do Turbo Ribs at 325 indirect, for 2 hours and sometimes another 15-20 minutes. usually just dizzy dust. or garlic salt and pepper.  Membrane removed of course.

Meat must pull back on the bone, and pass the bend test. i confirm the bend test by checking the bend before cooking, and when done they bend the same.

They come out great.  I also use some Pecan chunks in the lump.

I just dont have time for 5 hour ribs, 2 hours is just great for me and the family. 

But to each their own.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Can you elaborate on this technique?  Temps, time?  Seems like it would be hard to get much smoke into them because you can't really put much active fire beneath them to create the smoke.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • travisstrick
    Options
    300 dome raised direct. Takes about 4 hours. No foil and no flipping.
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Options

Exactly how i do mine. you can cook em 100 different ways, high or lower temp, doesn't matter. they're done when they pass the bend test. pretty easy.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Here is what I do for spares or baby backs.  I use my extended grid and do multiple racks all the time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    300 dome raised direct. Takes about 4 hours. No foil and no flipping.
    So that does not char the bottom side at all? Seems 4 hrs over direct would char them up pretty good. No?

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Not raised that high with lump that low
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cool. I'll give it a rip. Mine scorched the other day at 400 WITH a platesetter. Charcoal on the bottom. My gasket is fried and my egg won't pass the stack of ones test, much less the dollar bill test. I can't keep temps down for nada and my lump all burns off when I shut down. I'm installing a nomex on there tonight (and rebuilding my table............again)

• travisstrick
    Options
    What he said.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Fishless is a big fan of direct low/slow
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • easttexasaggie04
    Options
    Just put a rack of ribs on the BGE with dizzy dust applied.  Set the DigiQ on 250 and will let it go 4 hours and check on it.  Will report back with results!
  • easttexasaggie04
    Options
    They were good. Wish they woulda been a little more tender though.

I guess the key is to leave them on longer? They were on 250 for just over 5 hours.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I turbo'ed a rack of St. Louis spares last night after work in one hour at 350F dome raised direct with hickory chunks and some Bad Byron's Butt rub on them and loved 'em! Who started that 'fall off the bone tender' b.s.? It's over-rated. I do them both ways, and what you give up in 'tenderness' with low and slow is the flavor you get with turbo. So, either way, really....... 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    They were good. Wish they woulda been a little more tender though. I guess the key is to leave them on longer? They were on 250 for just over 5 hours.
    Yep- a little under done. Overcooked ribs fall of the bone so if they were at all tough, they needed a little more time
  • easttexasaggie04
    Options
    Now that I've done St. Louis or spare ribs... I want to try baby backs.  What do I need to do differently for those?