Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Any crafty folks out there?

MemphisBBQMemphisBBQ Posts: 92
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I had a couple of ideas today about an adjustable rig and a swing rack, they look pretty good on paper... 

I have seen a homemade adjustable rig on this site, but do not recall a homemade swing rack. Have any one of you done this?

I am sure this is not a new subject, so I apologize in advance.

·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,897
    Take a picture of your plans and post them here so we can check it out.

·
  • MemphisBBQMemphisBBQ Posts: 92

Tell ya what. Let me clean them up tomorrow, then I will post them. No need in you fine folks trying to decipher plans that look like a toddler drew them up.

·
    Sounds like a plan.  I have all the basic welding/metal fabrication tools.

·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    Sounds like fun! Looking forward to this thread.
    ·
  • Hillbilly-HightechHillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited July 2012
    heh - I was actually having a conversation w/ Brownie awhile back about an idea that I had regarding the same thing (adjustable rig & swing rack).   

Depends on what you wanna do w/ it.  If you want it to be "open source" where anyone can build their own & you just wanna provide the info & allow them to do it just cuz you want folks to have something better - then ya, post it.  

but if you're thinking of selling this, then I wouldn't post it till you've gotten a patent or have already sold a few.  Once the idea is out in the public, protecting it becomes very difficult.  Don't ask me how I know this :((
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
    ·
  • mikeb9550mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    We have been using swing racks over our BBQ pits for years. I plan on building one for my Egg once I get caught up on things (working on outdoor kitchen now). I dont like the ones for sale that are flat plate and lazercut. I prefer round grates. Plan is to build one out of 1/4 low carbon round bar. Heat, bend, weld. Then weld in a pipe and smaller grate on top. The top one will be 1/8" or so round bar for weight reduction. Also, the ones for sale commercially are really expensive (I am cheap and like making things myself). I have to justify the new tig welder I bought somehow (LOL).

Low cabon steel is the easiest metal to weld. No brainer for do it yourself project.
    ·
    heh - I was actually having a conversation w/ Brownie awhile back about an idea that I had regarding the same thing (adjustable rig & swing rack).   

Depends on what you wanna do w/ it.  If you want it to be "open source" where anyone can build their own & you just wanna provide the info & allow them to do it just cuz you want folks to have something better - then ya, post it.  

but if you're thinking of selling this, then I wouldn't post it till you've gotten a patent or have already sold a few.  Once the idea is out in the public, protecting it becomes very difficult.  Don't ask me how I know this :((
    By all means, if this is something that is patentable, think twice about posting it.  Thing is, you would be documenting it was your idea which would help you in a tie-breaker if someone "co-developed it" and you both used it in new products at the same time.  If you don't care about that, I need one of those and was thinking about welding something together, and I'd be happy to consider any ideas.

·
    Good morning! After I get finished with the cases I need to do at work, I will get together with my fellow Egghead and we will redraw the plans then post. 

It seems to be a simple bolt on application, currently. Will surely need feedback. 

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,304
    There's been some good looking bolt things on here

XLBGE 
    ·
    Okay, here is the "drawing". Any suggestions? 
    Basically it is a pipe with a long bolt inside it...
    JB weld to hold the parts that need to be held.

·
    My only improvement would be to mount the pivot to some solid plate cut in the shape of a small arc just to distribute the load to a couple more of the round bar pieces of grate.  I have a plasma cutter so that isn't too hard to do...

·
  • dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 507
    Although this isn't home made, its pretty much exactly what your looking for, isn't it?

http://ceramicgrillworks.com/products-page/product-category/large-2-tier-adjustable-swing-rack-system/

You can purchase the shaft kits separately if you wanted to use those to connect the two grates.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a mini BGE!)
    ·
    Although this isn't home made, its pretty much exactly what your looking for, isn't it?

http://ceramicgrillworks.com/products-page/product-category/large-2-tier-adjustable-swing-rack-system/

You can purchase the shaft kits separately if you wanted to use those to connect the two grates.

I'm sure those are nice and I've heard a lot of good things about them, but to me they're griddles with slots.  I find round bar gives me more exposure to direct cooking, combustion gases, etc.  Purely a personal choice.  I think the grill marks on a round grate look more appetizing.  Again, just personal preference.  That's why we don't all drive black cars.

·
  • timekpr1timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Not if Henry Ford had his way.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
    ·
  • dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 507
    @nolaegghead  I agree with all of that.  Just thought I'd throw it out to @MemphisBBQ so he could compare his available options.
    -Jody Newell (LBGE & a mini BGE!)
    ·
    @nolaegghead  I agree with all of that.  Just thought I'd throw it out to @MemphisBBQ so he could compare his available options.
    datz cool, just like to make my own stuff too

·
    the Ceramic Grill deal is nice and all, but I am thinking I can make something pretty similar for a fraction of the cost.

It sounds like NoLa has the right tools to make this job pretty simple. I, however, will look like a cave man while completing this mission.
    ·
    I have couple plasma cutters, Miller MIG welder, stick and TIG, metal miter saw, some grinders, drill press, etc.  All the basic stuff.  Haven't done a metal project in a while, it'll be fun.  I'm mostly into fine woodworking. 

·
  • jleon401jleon401 Posts: 33
    I have thought about making a rig to use too!
    LBGE, Smoke Hollow 4-in-1, Charbroil Big Easy, and Weber Smokey Joe.
    ·