Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

drip pan question

Options
turok
turok Posts: 28
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
How big are your drip pans? Does it cover the entire diameter of the platesetter or is it smaller? I have had a problem the past couple times when smoking (ribs especially) the drippings miss the pan and burn on the setter or even get on the lump/coals beneath and burn. This ends up giving the food a lovely hint of creosote(sp?). Not bad enough that is totally inedible but present nonetheless. They have been larger cooks. What can I try? Thanks.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bigger drip pans ( not being funny).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Mine covers almost all of the round part of the plate setter. I use a deep dish pizza pan that I bought from a restaurant supply store for a few bucks.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Great idea on the pizza pan for the plate setter.  I have used disposable foil pans, but they are rectangular.  Also found that elevating off the plate setter keeps the drippings from charring and giving off that bad taste.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • turok
    Options
    Okay. Thanks. I have had it elevated. I guess I need to get a bigger one. I think I have seen pics of people who have the setter kinda wrapped or draped in foil. What is the thought on that?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    allow to cool, unwrap, toss in trash
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I use a 15-inch cake pan that I usually cover in foil. It fits perfectly inside the PS. I elevate it with a few squished balls of foil on the PS. I got tired of spending money on disposable aluminum pans.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    +1 on the pizza pan. Since I have a large BGE, I bought a 16" pizza pan from Walmart for $4 to use as a drip pan. I foiled the pizza pan and set it above the platesetter to cover the platesetter from any drippings. It works great. I'm about to post some pics from my weekend's rib cooking so you can probably see a little of the set up on those pics. 

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• turok
    Options

+1 on the pizza pan. Since I have a large BGE, I bought a 16" pizza pan from Walmart for $4 to use as a drip pan. I foiled the pizza pan and set it above the platesetter to cover the platesetter from any drippings. It works great. I'm about to post some pics from my weekend's rib cooking so you can probably see a little of the set up on those pics. 

Okay cool. Yeah I would like to see that. So the pan rest on the up-turned platesetter legs and not the platesetter itself. I like that. Thanks to all who have helped with my problem.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options

I posted the pics in another thread but thought I'll post it here so you can see the set up.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• turok
    Options
    Alright. Cool. I will need to change to that type setup. Thanks.