Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

2 chicks about to get our BUTTS on!!

LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Yes, its LizzieSamps and after all the fun of the brisket group cook, I jumped at the opportunity to cook with my friend who is a new egger! So about to rub the ... Shoulders and get them smokin!! Then to drink an chat while we stabilize the temp!

Comments

• cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I love pulled pork on the egg. Much less difficult than the brisket. Good luck. We need details on the rub. Are you injecting them as well?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 2,478
    In the words of Craig- cook it up!
    Greensboro, NC
  • lakewadelakewade Posts: 382
    Great thread title.  That is all.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,528
    Really enjoy following your posts. Keep the phone out of the fire this time.

Good luck with the temp, this could be reality seires. 

• LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Ok they are rubbed with Sweet Rub of Mine, and some brown sugar!
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Here is a photo of us and the butt!
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    Nice looking butts.
    Cookin in Texas
    Butts On!
  • RubmyrockRubmyrock Posts: 266
    I'm jealous!! Good luck. Mine will be on tomorrow night!!
    Alright settled in at 240, I will take that !
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    All night cook on a school night very nice!
    Lynnwood WA
    My friend is a nurse so this is her weekend! I love sharing my egging knowledge with her!!
  • chuffchuff Posts: 255
    You're really getting into these overnighters. That looks like quite a pair of butts there.......
    XL BGE
  • JWBurnsJWBurns Posts: 337

My friend is a nurse so this is her weekend! I love sharing my egging knowledge with her!!

I like two butts and I cannot lie

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 14,661
    edited July 2012
    Definitely waaaay less drama getting this cook going. Must be the two butt influence.  Enjoy this journey-much more forgiving than a brisket.
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.
    EGG911: that was my text this morning at 8:00. I called I guess the temp was 150 and ok, not so great. Open up the vents see if any smoke if coming out, nope, pull it all out and relight! Bummer so I came over here and now babysitting the egg! Great as I type this it is starting to sprinkle :((
  • michigan_jasonmichigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    I like two butts and I cannot lie
    Well played :D

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

If it's not one thing....but sounds like all is well as soon as the BGE temperature stabilizes. 
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.
    So temp is 123 on thermo should I start to turbo these babies? I have it at dome 300 now.
    when are you wanting to eat?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Depends on when you plan to have them finished-looks like each is around 7#'s. 300 +/- will move the cook right along.
    If you are wanting to eat them for dinner, I would leave it or even turn it down a little.

• dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,049

Another good reason to look at a temp controller like the digiq.  I'm sure you will handle it in stride.  Good luck!!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Here is a great pulled pork site-talks about the stall, Texas Crutch (use of foil) and just good info-

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html 

I will say this again, you do not need one. Need, no, but times like this will make you edge closer and closer. Once you take the plunge and see how beautiful it can be, you will be in love. I have a digiq and use it on long low and slows now, but I will still do it the old fashioned way as well.

I know the controllers call my name with each overnight. This is my 3rd. She did not check till 8. I wake up and check at 6:00. She is planning on dinner. I think we will be fine for time. It is hard to keep their egg below 300. I had it dialed in at 240 for 2 hours I guess It just cooled off and fire went out. Her hubby is not too happy but I just said hey it's a journey and it will all be fine.
    @lousubcap thanks for the link will check it out. I have used the crutch before hopefully we will be okay without but if we end up FTC anyway it won't matter about softening the bark.
    Hubby just upset he didn't get to party :)
    Haha, hubby mad 2 chicks were rubbing butts and he didnt get to help.

@lizziesamps ; I think if you can keep it around 260-300 dome, you are good. It will stall for a while and not be done till afternoon likely. Easy FTC for the wait. It will be great.

• BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    Lizzie, how did your butts do?
    Funny post, I hope all went well.