Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Multiple Level Grids For A Large Egg?

CullumCullum Posts: 214
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
What are some of the options of having multiple levels to cook several pork butts at once? What products are out there to do that? Thanks for the replies. 
·

Comments

• brianwdmnbrianwdmn Posts: 359
    Check out Ceramic Grill Store dot com.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,380
    edited July 2012
    this is nice as well depending on what your be cooking 

Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,777
    The above after-market products are great-but if you want to wait a while you can go vertical with another grate (I have the LBGE and weber has a 17" one that works well) and fire-bricks or empty cans to elevate the second grate. No hurry out there as all the bells and whistles will be there once you get a handle on what you want to achieve.  Some also use bolts and washers to elevate the second grid.  The food doesn't care....
    Louisville
    ·
  • BaysidebobBaysidebob Posts: 489
    Swing Rack.  No contest.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • BBQBeermanBBQBeerman Posts: 62
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I built this for about $8.00
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
    ·
  • mokadirmokadir Posts: 114
    Eventually I went for adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store, but before that I had 2 grids leftover from one of those bullet smokers and a few bricks and Ubolts and did just fine.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
    ·
  • CullumCullum Posts: 214
    Thanks for the info! Really appreciated.
    ·
  • How does having the second grate effect the cooking time of the things on the upper rack?  Say for instance doing ribs with a placesetter.....does the upper grate cook the ribs faster since its up higher in the heat?
    ·
  • njlnjl Posts: 785
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I built this for about $8.00
    What size grids are those, and where did you find the top one?  I wonder...if you used 4 of those posts, could you leave the top grate removable, having it just rest on posts with fender washers?
    ·
  • Sgt93Sgt93 Posts: 704
    Check out the "swing rack" thread. Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier by far.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
    ·
  • hoffmandhoffmand Posts: 91
    What size grids are those, and where did you find the top one?  I wonder...if you used 4 of those posts, could you leave the top grate removable, having it just rest on posts with fender washers?
    Yes, the removable version works well and many people use them. I used a generic grid that measures 16.25".  It's labeled as a grid for an 18" grill so bring a tape measure to make sure you get the right size. 

IMG_1913.JPG 152.2K
    Cedar Park, TX
    ·
  • BBQBeermanBBQBeerman Posts: 62
    They have wing nuts on the bottom so it's easy to remove but I also have a ceramic grate so if I do not need the extra space I just switch. The smaller grate is from an old smoker
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
    ·
  • Just my redneck way.....What I mostly use, it's adjustable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • alyndalynd Posts: 97
    Dave, I'm looking to replicate what you showed in your pictures.  How long are the bolts you used?
    ·